Paul Karlsgodt is the national leader of BakerHostetler’s national Class Action Defense practice team, with particular focus on data privacy and consumer class actions. He has represented companies in the insurance, healthcare, retail, energy and telecommunications industries in numerous nationwide and statewide consumer class action lawsuits and related litigation.
Paul is editor and primary contributor to the legal blog, ClassActionBlawg.com, which covers a variety of class action-related issues, including decisions, trends, best practices, news and reform, both in the U.S. and throughout the world. He is an active member of the Class Actions and Derivative Suits (CADS) Committee of the ABA Section of Litigation, chairing the Regional Meetings subcommittee. Paul has defended clients in class action lawsuits arising out of some of the largest ever data security incidents as well as other class actions involving alleged violations of privacy rights.
J.D., University of Denver Sturm College of Law, 1997
B.S., Purdue University, 1993
- Chair of the annual ABA Western Regional Program on Class Actions and Mass Torts
- Presenter at webinar on “TCPA Class Actions: Pursuing or Defending Claims over Phone, Text and Fax Solicitations” (April 2017)
- Speaker at seminar on “Cloud Computing 101: Key Issues and Practical Guidance” (May 2017)
- Speaker at Federal Bar Association Annual Convention (September 2017)
Honors and Awards
- Trailblazer in CyberSecurity and Data Privacy by the National Law Journal in 2015
- Law360 MVP in the area of privacy law for 2014 and 2015
- Chambers USA: Litigation: General Commercial in Colorado (2016, 2017)
- Colorado “Super Lawyer” (2011 to 2017)