Patrick T. Sharkey has over 40 years of experience as a commercial real estate attorney representing sophisticated clients in a diverse and dynamic blend of real estate transactions. Client engagements include the representation of landlords and tenants in office, industrial, retail, health care, and submerged land (Houston Ship Channel) leasing. His expertise also encompasses specialty leases, including data center leases, hospital leases, and ground leases for medical office buildings. In addition, Patrick has extensive experience in acquisitions and dispositions of office buildings, industrial properties, health care properties and undeveloped land, condominiums, and development of health care campuses. His practice also includes representing clients in intricate land transactions, land donation in lieu of condemnation, and property tax appeals.
Pat’s 40 years of experience in commercial real estate law enables him to provide his clients with creative, expedited service and results-oriented legal representation in all phases of commercial real estate.
- Office Leases
- Industrial Leases
- Data Center Leases
- Hospital Leases
- Ground Leases
- Submerged Land Leases
- Office Buildings
- Industrial Properties
- Undeveloped Land
- Power Plants
- Houston Ship Channel Land (including submerged land)
- Fast Food Restaurants
- Condemnation / Land Donation
- Automobile Dealership Properties
Real Estate Financing
- Acquisition/Construction Loans
- Defeasance/Special Servicers’ Consent
- Texas Counsel Opinion Letters
- Creation of Condo Regime
- Conversion to/from Condo Regime
- Condominium Development Financing
- Commission Agreements
- Management Agreements
- Listing Agreements
- Development Agreements
- Franchise Agreements
- Sale of Franchise Restaurants
CAREER HIGHLIGHTSAmong numerous closings on land, leases, office buildings, health care properties, and condominium transactions, several recent transactions epitomize Mr. Sharkey’s dedication to attaining his clients’ business objectives:
- Represented NRG Energy, Inc. in sublease of over 431,000 square feet of office space at 910 Louisiana tower in downtown Houston, Texas. The transaction included four buildings and seven interrelated agreements and is one of the largest subleases in the history of Houston.
- Represented major electric power company, as tenant, in successful negotiation of 10,000 square foot data center lease in west Houston. The lease involved landlord’s construction of a new data center facility, which necessitated the overlay of build to suit concepts with the technical service level provisions unique to data center leases.
- Represented developer in the successful purchase of an office building in Houston. The unique feature of this transaction was the building’s primary tenant is an acute care hospital. Thus, the client’s services included unique health care oriented services for the hospital tenant.
- Represented health care client in its successful sale of land for the development of a health care campus in San Antonio. Having represented the client in numerous sales and Ground Leases for the development of health care campuses in Texas, this transaction was the culmination of the client’s strategic plan for this health care property.
Whether the client’s project involves purchasing, selling, leasing, restructuring, or developing commercial real estate, Mr. Sharkey is committed to attaining the client’s objectives and adding value to the client’s business.
- State Bar of Texas
- Real Estate Section
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
- Co-Chair, Corporate Sponsorship Committee, 2014-2017
- Chair, Leasing Group, 2011-2013
- Vice Chair, Leasing Group, 2009-2011
- Chair of Office Leasing Committee, 2006-2009
- Houston Bar Association
- President, Real Estate Law Section, 1988-1989
- Treasurer, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, 2014-2016
- American Arbitration Association, Commercial Arbitrator