Mark J. Foley joined Cozen O'Connor’s Philadelphia office in June 2006. He is a member of the firm’s board of directors and chair of the firm’s Labor & Employment Group, concentrating in the representation of management in employment and labor matters.
Mark represents employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, and has extensive experience in a broad range of matters under local, state, and federal law, including the NLRA, the LMRA, Title VII, Section 1983 and the First Amendment, the ADEA, the ADA, the FLSA, whistleblower laws, restrictive covenants and trade secrets, and executive transition issues.
Representative engagements include:
- Member of Governor Rendell's negotiating team in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania's collective bargaining negotiations with its 66,000 union employees
- Lead negotiator for the city of Philadelphia in collective bargaining negotiations and interest arbitrations with the unions representing the city's 22,500 union-represented employees
- Represent major university health system in FLSA class action and companion Department of Labor investigation
- Represent major insurance company as part of multi-jurisdictional defense team in nationwide FLSA class action
- Represent technology company in multi-jurisdictional actions involving disclosure of trade secrets
- Represent national radio company in restrictive covenant litigation
- Represent labor supplier to Pennsylvania Convention Center in negotiations and litigation with its six different trade unions
- Lead negotiator for national research university in collective bargaining negotiations with faculty and support staff unions
- Lead negotiator for public utility in negotiations with national utility union
- Represent national pharmaceutical distributor in union organizing campaign
- Represent publicly traded real estate investment trust in connection with union's Justice for Janitors campaign
- Lead trial and appellate counsel for employers in a variety of lawsuits in the state and federal courts
Mark works with Cozen O’Connor Public Strategies, advocating for clients with decision-makers in all branches of local, state, and federal government. This team includes former elected and appointed public officials at all levels, and professionals who have the knowledge and experience to create winning strategies for protecting clients’ interests, presenting their positions, and ensuring that their voices are heard.
Mark has been recognized by Chambers USA as one of America's leading business lawyers, by Human Resource Executive magazine and Lawdragon as one of the nation's 50 Most Prominent Employment Defense Attorneys, by Law & Politics and Philadelphia magazine as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, and by the Philadelphia Business Journal as one of the region’s 40 most dynamic young leaders. Mark is also rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
Mark is a member of the board of governors of the Economy League of Greater Philadelphia, the National Constitution Center Corporate Counsel, and the American Red Cross, Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter. He is also active in the Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Bar Associations.
Mark earned his law degree, cum laude, from Villanova University School of Law, where he was an Associate Editor of the Villanova Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif, and his Bachelor of Arts from The Pennsylvania State University.