Kathryn E. Smith (Kate) is a Partner with Wood Herron & Evans in the firm’s Branding & Content Practice Group. Kate joined Wood Herron & Evans in 1996, and recently celebrated her twentieth (20th) year anniversary with the firm. Kate handles all areas of trademark prosecution and litigation, copyright prosecution and litigation, and matters of unfair competition. She is admitted to the Ohio bar and the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio.
Kate is an active member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), where she currently serves as Chair of the Trademark Relations with the USPTO Committee. She is also active in the International Trademark Association (INTA), and the American, Ohio, and Cincinnati Bar Associations. In 2017, Kate was named the Trademark Lawyer of the Year in the Cincinnati, OH market by Best Lawyers®. She resides in Northern Kentucky with her husband and two children.
University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, Ohio, J.D. - 1996
Kenyon College, B.A., Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude – 1992; Honors: Elected to Phi Beta Kappa; Major: History
- Coordinator, Panel Discussion on Injunctions and Other Non-Monetary Relief for Trademark Infringement, AIPLA Spring Meeting (May 2017)
- Presenter, Cincinnati Business Courier and Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Northern Kentucky University Program: Business and Legal Strategies (August 2014)
- Contributor and Committee Vice Chair, Legal Standards and Quarterly Case Summaries Projects, AIPLA Trademark Litigation Committee (2011)
- Speaker, Cincinnati Bar Association Program “The Landscape is Changing – Advising Clients Regarding Domain Names and Dispute Resolution” (June 2010)
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers® in Trademark Law, 2012 - 2017
- Recognized in Best Lawyers® as the “Lawyer of the Year” in the practice area of Trademark Law in Cincinnati, Ohio, 2017
- Best Attorneys in Ohio by Best Lawyers® – Trademark Law, 2014
- Chambers, USA, Named a “Notable Practitioner”, 2014
- Chambers, USA, “Key Individual” in the area of Intellectual Property Law, 2010 - 2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars by Law and Politics Media, 2007 - 2008
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL), Class IX, 2005
Pro Bono Activities
Vice President, Board of Directors of Children, Inc.