David A. Vaughan focuses his practice on investment management, primarily private funds.
David Vaughan has been practicing in the private fund space for well over two decades, including serving for two years as the senior private fund policy adviser in the SEC’s Division of Investment Management, advising on all aspects of legal and regulatory policy related to private funds. During that period, he played a leading role in advising on Title IV of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and the rules implementing those provisions, the Volcker Rule, and the European Union Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive, among other things.
Mr. Vaughan works with hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capital funds and unregistered traditional funds. He represents managers with respect to fund formation, distribution and compliance issues, as well as enforcement matters. He has also represented both insurance companies and fund sponsors with respect to privately placed and offshore variable insurance products.
Mr. Vaughan is a former Director of the Managed Funds Association. In 2010, he received the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission’s Law and Policy Award, and the Federal Bar Association’s Securities Law Committee’s Philip A. Loomis, Jr. Award. He has been recommended as a leading lawyer for investment funds by both Chambers Global and Chambers USA. According to the most recent edition, market sources describe him as “one of the best technical lawyers and note that he has a great understanding of the laws that impact our industry. He displays intimate knowledge of AIFMD, the Volcker Rule and the Dodd-Frank Act, among other matters.” Past editions state that “the ‘wonderful’ David Vaughan handles an impressive range of structuring and compliance matters for large and small hedge managers alike. He brings particular insight to regulatory policies concerning private funds.” Mr. Vaughan is recommended by The Legal 500 (US), which states that he “is noted for his knowledge of algorithmic trading issues.” He was also listed by Institutional Investor as one of the “Top 20 Hedge Fund Rising Stars,” and as a leading lawyer in the category of U.S. investment funds by IFLR 1000. He was recently a recipient of Dechert’s “Exceptional Teachers Award,” selected by lawyers in the firm for encouraging individual thinking and creativity, and giving associates opportunities to learn and gain experience in many areas.
Mr. Vaughan is also a frequent speaker at industry conferences, including:
- European Hedge Fund Investment Forum
- European Fund and Asset Management Association (EFAMA, formerly FEFSI)
- The Alternative Investment Management Association (Hong Kong and Singapore)
- Investment Adviser Association Annual Compliance Conference
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Hedge Fund Roundtable
- Investment Company Institute Conference on Mutual Funds & Investment Management in Asia
- MAR Hedge International Conference on Hedge Fund Investments in Bermuda
- Investment Company Institute Mutual Funds & Investment Management Conference
- 13th Annual Global Private Equity Conference
- IA Compliance Best Practices Summit
- NICSA’s 25th Anniversary Annual Conference & Expo
- IIR Soft Dollar Practices Forum
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1990, cum laude
- Bowling Green State University, B.A., 1987, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York