Day One: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Morning Session: 9:00 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Peter Brown, Marc S. Roth
9:15 Counterfeits and the Internet: Stopping the Flood
- What is the scope of the counterfeit problem?
- The legacy of Tiffany v. eBay
- Successful legal strategies to stop counterfeiters in court
- How to stop counterfeits at the border
Deborah Greaves, Heather J. McDonald
10:15 The Cybersecurity Risks to Business, Governments and Individuals
- Who are the hackers attacking our tech infrastructure?
- What are the techniques used to penetrate organizations?
- What regulatory and industry initiatives are fighting this threat?
- What legal strategies can stop this threat to business and individuals?
Joseph V. DeMarco, David Nardoni, Nubiaa Shabaka
11:45 Why Privacy and Data Security Should Be At the Top of Every Business Agenda
- What is Big Data? What are the business and legal issues?
- Recent regulatory and private action trends and developments
- Privacy issues in the mobile space
- What is the future of Do Not Track?
- Update on data breaches, HIPAA, COPPA and EU Data Protection
David Navetta, Paola Zeni
Afternoon Session: 1:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
1:45 How Technology Is Creating the Third Industrial Revolution and Techniques to Finance New Businesses
- The transformative potential of goods created with 3D printers
- Using technology to "print" samples, custom goods and replacement parts
- Using crowd-sourcing to "out innovate" China
- Micro and group financing techniques
- The tools developed in Facebook and LinkedIn create group financing opportunities
Peter Brown, John C. Yates
2:45 Current Trends in IT Litigation and E-Discovery
- Data breaches and the litigation response
- Protecting content and copyrights on the Internet
- The EU cases which will impact every major U.S. software company
- How predictive sampling may change e-discovery
Steven V. Hunter, Peter J. Pizzi
4:00 Legal Ethics in the Era of iPads, Cloud Computing and Facebook
- Ethical concerns in using cloud computing applications
- Managing ethical risks of Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Mobile devices and apps: issues of client confidentiality
- Facebook, Twitter and the modern jury trial
Merri A. Baldwin, James Q. Walker
Day Two: 9:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Morning Session: 9:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
9:00 Advertising Beyond the Web: Opportunities and Challenges for Mobile Devices, Tablets and Other Technology
- How do traditional advertising rules apply to wireless devices?
- What issues are raised by consumers interacting with ads?
- What are the top concerns of regulators?
Laura Berger, Marc S. Roth
10:00 Social Media Leaps to the Small(er) Screen
- What issues arise when social media sites are accessed on mobile devices
- What are the advantages and risks associated with geo-location functionality?
- Is advertising on social media sites possible on devices?
- Applicability of COPPA to mobile devices. What do the FTC’s recent proposed revisions mean for mobile social media sites
- Special privacy issues to consider
- Bullying through social media: schools and parents respond and litigation follows
Laura Berger, Joseph J. Lewczak
11:15 The Innovative Influence of Digital Distribution for Books, Music, Films, Television, Videos and Other Content
- How digital distribution is transforming intellectual property distribution
- The threat of free/pirated downloads -- and how much do they matter?
- The critical content issues behind Viacom v. YouTube
- Economic benefits from digital distribution: who, when and how much
- USA v. Apple, et al (SDNY) -- the latest in the landmark antitrust action against NY book publishers and Apple
Devereux Chatillon, Lindsay Conner
~ Attorney, Division of Privacy and Identity Protection, Federal Trade Commission
~ Director, Global Privacy - Legal and Public Affairs, Symantec Corporation
San Francisco Seminar Location
PLI California Center, 685 Market Street, San Francisco, California 94105. (415) 498-2800
San Francisco Hotel Accommodations
The Palace Hotel, 2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, California 94105. Call (800) 917-7456 seven days a week from 6:00 am to 12:00 am (PDT) and mention you are attending this program at Practising Law Institute to receive the preferred rate. For online reservations, go to www.sfpalace.com/pli to receive the preferred rate.
Due to high demand we recommend reserving hotel rooms as early as possible.