The America Invents Act created the Patent Trial and Appeal Board which is akin to the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences and which will preside over various new proceedings designed to provide parties with a more effective venue in which to litigate patent validity. The most commonly used procedure will be inter partes review, which effectively replaces inter partes reexamination as of September 16, 2012. Other post-grant proceeding include Post-Grant Review and the Transitional Program for Covered Business Method Patents.
Post-Grant Proceedings Before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board guides readers through the process of initiating a post-grant proceeding, taking discovery, seeking sanctions, proposing and opposing claim amendments, effectively advocating at the oral hearing, appealing to the Federal Circuit, and handling a wide array of issues involving co-pending district court litigation.
Updated at least once a year, Post-Grant Proceedings Before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board is a comprehensive and indispensable resource for anyone involved in a proceeding before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Table of Contents:
About the Authors and Editors
2. Pre-filing considerations
3. Petition for Inter Partes Review
4. Preliminary Response by Patent Owner
5. Institution of Inter Partes Review
8. Patent Owner Discovery Period
9. Patent Owner Response and Proposed Amendments
10. Petitioner Discovery Period
11. Petitioner Reply and Opposition to Proposed Amendments
12. Supplemental Patent Owner Discovery
13. Reply Concerning Proposed Amendments
16. Final Written Decision
17. Appeals to the Federal Circuit
18. Post-Grant USPTO Patent Proceedings & Concurrent Litigation
19. Legislative Anomalies and Expected Technical Amendments
20. Transitional Program for Covered Business Methods
21. Preview of Post-Grant Review Procedures
Appendix A: Consolidated Proposed Rules
Appendix B: America Invents Act
December 10, 2013
Patent Reform Passes in House of Representatives
From: Patent Law Practice Center
The Innovation Act (HR 3309) was introduced on Oct...
December 2, 2013
Yahoo! Gets Fantasy Sports Software Patent
Online fantasy sports games, such as fantasy footb...
November 19, 2013
Cloud Based Versioned File System Patented
Last month, the United States Patent and Trademark...
Open Source and Free Software 2013: Benefits, Risks and Challenges
Dec. 11, 2013
Banking Law Institute 2013
Coping With U.S. Export Controls 2013
Dec. 12 - 13, 2013
All Contents Copyright © 1996-2013 Practising Law Institute. Continuing Legal Education since 1933.