“If you want to be successful in the fashion industry, but haven’t had the time to go to law school . . . I highly recommend Fashion Law and Business.” – Fern Mallis, former Executive Director of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, creator of New York Fashion Week, and fashion industry consultant
“Up until now, starting a business in fashion has been a trial and error process. With this book, Lois Herzeca and Howard Hogan have created a brilliant step-by-step guide to being a successful entrepreneur in fashion. It’s the kind of book I wish had been available when I started my company.” – Jaqui Lividini, Founder and CEO of L&Co.
“Herzeca and Hogan provide an accessible overview of key issues facing any fashion business, with case studies, examples, and sample forms that will help people working at any level of the industry. The multiple layers of intellectual property and advertising law can seem impossibly complex, but Fashion Law and Business clearly sets out each area a business must consider.” – Rebecca L. Tushnet, Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center and author, 43(B)log
“The guidebook we have all been searching for.” – Shirley Cook, CEO of Proenza Schouler
“Understanding the legal underpinnings of fashion retailing is central to success in this fast-paced and ever-changing industry. Herzeca and Hogan provide a timely and insightful exposition on the intersection of fashion retailing, branding, and law.”– Dr. Dhruv Grewal, Toyota Chair of Commerce & Electronic Business, Professor of Marketing, Babson College and a past editor of Journal of Retailing
“The rules and laws of branding can vary significantly by industry, and make or break any business’s success. Herzeca and Hogan offer a thorough, practical examination of the important business law issues for the fascinating but challenging world of fashion. The insights and guidelines they provide are indispensable.” – Kevin Lane Keller, E.B. Osborn Professor of Marketing, Tuck School of Business, Dartmouth College and author, Strategic Brand Management
“This comprehensive treatment of the legal issues involved in an important industry is required reading for anyone interested in understanding the law and business of fashion. It is destined to become the "go-to" reference in its field as well as a model for guides in other areas.” – Maureen A. O’Rourke, Dean & Professor of Law, Boston University School of Law
To the general public, the fashion industry is most closely identified with celebrated fashion houses mounting elaborate and highly publicized runway shows in the major fashion capitals of the world. In reality, the fashion industry is much more diverse, complex, and global. FASHION LAW AND BUSINESS unravels the complexity and provides clear guidance on the wide range of legal and business issues faced by fashion industry participants, including designers, suppliers, manufacturers of apparel and accessories, and retailers.
In FASHION LAW AND BUSINESS you’ll learn:
• The considerations involved in starting a company in the fashion industry, including developing a business plan, determining the form and structure of the legal entity, and obtaining financing.
• How patent, trademark, and copyright law have been applied to the fashion industry and their impact in such areas as gray market goods and counterfeiting.
• The contractual relationships and regulatory issues applicable to the design and production of fashion products.
• The dynamics of retail sales in the apparel industry, including a discussion of e-commerce and mobile commerce
• The legal issues involved in leasing and licensing brick-and-mortar retail stores, with a focus on the significant contractual terms that should be considered in connection with such real estate transactions.
• How to deal with labor and employment issues that relate to the fashion industry, including working conditions, wages and hours, child labor, use of independent contractors such as sales representatives, and developments in collective bargaining in the fashion industry.
Written by two of America’s leading fashion and retail law authorities, FASHION LAW AND BUSINESS provides you with an integrated, comprehensive guide to the issues affecting the fashion industry today.
April 16, 2014
Canine Genetic Testing Patent Dispute Settled
From: Patent Law Practice Center
On December 13, 2013, Genetic Veterinary Sciences,...
What’s Up With Conflict Minerals – Stay Tuned For More Legal Developments!
From: The SEC Institute Blog
As you may have heard, on April 14, to give us all...
April 14, 2014
USPTO Issues Design Patent No. 700,000
The Department of Commerce recently had a ceremony...
Fundamentals of Patent Litigation 2014
Apr. 21, 2014
International Estate & Tax Planning 2014
Apr. 22, 2014
Financial Services Fiduciary Duties: Navigating the Emerging Regulatory Maze 2014
All Contents Copyright © 1996-2014 Practising Law Institute. Continuing Legal Education since 1933.