use a .edu email address as your primary email address in order to get the student discount automatically. By doing so, you certify that you are a currently enrolled student and that you are not buying the course for someone who is not currently a student. If you have any questions in this regard or would like to ask about a discount even though you are not a student (e.g., unemployed, government attorney), do not hesitate to call us at 888-296-5973. Anyone with a technical degree
(generally, any degree in science or engineering, or the equivalent) can take the Patent Office Exam to become a patent agent or patent attorney. Patent law is one of the United States’ top growth industries, with ever-changing and interesting opportunities.The Patent Office Registration Exam
is now computer-based and on-demand. But it is still the same grueling, leave-no-stone-unturned test of knowledge that it’s always been. And they’ve been more aggressive, testing new topics (and some old topics - e.g., Patent Cooperation Treaty) more rigorously.PLI’s Patent Office Registration Exam Course
is still the best way to prepare to ace the test. When your future is riding on the results, you need a course that delivers. That’s what PLI has been doing for YEARS longer than ANYONE else.
In clear, concise, right-to-the-point language, this information-packed course leads you through the intricacies - and around the traps - of the Patent Office Exam. You’ll get the hard facts, test-taking tips, sample questions and answers, and intense practice exams that mirror what you’re going to face when you sit down to take the real thing. Our PatWare
software almost exactly predicted the current format of the Exam by many years. PatWare
has now been expanded, updated and Web-connected to play an even more critical and informative role in your preparation.
Whether you choose to attend a live course or study at home, from the very first hour of the course you’ll benefit from our Exam-focused approach. There’s just one reason this is the essential PTO Exam resource: It is simply the most user-friendly, comprehensive, in-depth, authoritative, interactive and Exam-focused course available today.
Order your course now, even if you’re going to attend a live course later on. Advance preparation is key. PLI’s Patent Office Registration Course has been
co-sponsored by some of the top IP law schools in the nation: George Washington University Law School, John Marshall Law School (Chicago), Santa Clara University School of Law, and Suffolk University Law School.PLI’s EXAM PREPARATION CALENDAR
The Exam itself is only one day, and it’s a day that you can pick more or less at your convenience. It’s finding the right time to study for the Exam that should be your focus.STEP 1.
You’re going to need about 200 hours (we’d suggest one month of full-time study, or two months of part-time study) to prepare for the Exam. Pull out your calendar and see where you can find that month or two in the coming year.
Download the PTO Exam application and start to get your application in order.
Look to see whether one of our live courses falls within your projected study time. If not, or if you just prefer a homestudy course, plan to register for the homestudy course. Order your preferred course at least a week before your 200-hour study-time starts, and start to study as soon as it arrives (even if you’re coming to a live course later).OR …
If you feel that a live course is essential, plan your Exam date by figuring how long it will take you to fit in another 100 hours of preparation after the last day of your preferred course.STEP 4.
Send off your PTO Exam application about 2-4 weeks before you finish your preparation.STEP 5.
Start planning your celebration for passing the Exam!Topics Covered In Exam Depth
Make the comparison. The choice is clear.
- The America Invents Act
- Introduction to Exam, Course, Materials and Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP)
- Patentability (35 USC 101, 102, 103 & 112)
- Priority: Domestic and Foreign (35 USC 119)
- Asserting Priority (Rules 55 and 78)
- Assignments and Ownership
- Ethics (37 CFR Part 10)
- Representation at the USPTO (MPEP 400)
- Correspondence with the USPTO (MPEP 500)
- Patent Applications (MPEP 600)
- Claim Drafting Concepts and Methodology
- Responses and Amendments (MPEP 700)
- Interviewing the Examiner
- Abandonment and Revival
- Double Patenting and Restriction (MPEP 800)
- Appeals (MPEP 1200)
- Corrections of Patents (MPEP 1400)
- Design Patents (MPEP 1500)
- Plant Patents
- Patent Cooperation Treaty and International Filings
- Citation of Prior Art and Reexamination (MPEP 2200)
- Interference Practice
- Maintenance Fees (MPEP 2500)
- Citation of Prior Art
Ask any other bar review course whether they can match PLI:
- PLI teaches to the test. We focus exclusively on the subjects and strategies you need to ace the Exam. Other courses sidetrack you with general coverage of patent law.
- Our first-of-its-kind software, PatWare, predicted and tracks the new computer-based format of the Exam. It has always been included in your course price. It’s loaded with all the past Exam questions that are still relevant, updated to reflect the current law, AND with new questions our experienced faculty have written to test the new rules. Plus, an electronic MPEP that works like the one on the Exam.
- PLI offers more live courses every year than anyone else.
- We offer the entire course via homestudy online.
- Learn from the top experts in the country. John White - our academic director, course designer and chief lecturer - has been teaching to the Exam for over 20 years. The Patent Office itself hired John White to teach its Patent Law and Evidence Course to its Examiners.
- Students get a tuition discount on any full course from PLI.
- PLI’s pre-course video tutorial covers the basics of U.S. patent law and procedure for anyone who needs it.
- Get a telephone and email hotline you can use right up to the Exam to answer your questions.
Our registrants can take advantage of a 50% discount on PLI’s benchmark publication, How to Write a Patent Application, plus a $350 discount certificate to use on a future PLI course.
Most other courses don’t come from companies with the history and wealth of patent resources that PLI offers.
ACE THE EXAM ON THE VERY FIRST TRY
Every element of our Exam-focused course - the schedule, the materials, the lectures, the software - concentrates exclusively on what you need to know to pass the Exam. You don’t need a distracting survey of patent law. What you need is a combination of targeted resources that zero in quickly and confidently on the issues, problems, questions and strategies that will enable you to ace this major test. And that’s exactly what you’ll find with PLI’s Office Registration Exam Course
- We walk you through every chapter of the MPEP, showing you what in each chapter is tested and how it’s tested, with the occasional pause for practice exams on the topics you’ve just learned, to make sure you really understand how the rules are tested in the questions.
- Special emphasis is placed on topics that are tested heavily on the Exam today (e.g., Patent Cooperation Treaty).
- Your questions are answered by PLI’s expert faculty. Our instructors are among the top Patent Exam experts in the nation.
- A wealth of tips fail-proof you against Exam pitfalls.
- Interactive practice tests increase your knowledge and confidence.
- The Web component tells you from the beginning whether you’re on track to pass the Exam.
ATTEND THE HIGH-INTENSITY, INTERACTIVE LIVE COURSE . . .
- Convenient live courses across the U.S. throughout the year.
. . .AND/OR TAKE THE PLI HOMESTUDY COURSE. THE 24/7 ALTERNATIVE!
Please note: Homestudy courses are not suitable for group viewing. All live course registrants get access to the online homestudy course at no extra charge.
- The lectures are online 24/7 [Note: Due to the intensive nature of this course, it is only available via streaming media (not downloadable or on disk) and PLI does not support any mobile platforms for this product.]
- Replicates the live course completely. You get all the advantages of the live course, without leaving your home or office.
- “Where you want, when you want” convenience. Learn at your own pace. All the lectures are at your fingertips, around the clock. Pause whenever you want, fast-forward through topics you’ve mastered, rewind to review. You call the shots.
Due to the intensive nature of this course, it is only available via streaming media (not downloadable or on disk) and PLI does not support any mobile platforms for this product.
Write Mark Dighton, Administrative Director of the course, at firstname.lastname@example.org
for group options.IMPORTANT EXTRAS. FREE!
Every registrant for PLI’s Patent Office Registration Exam Course, live or homestudy, also gets:PatWare Interactive Exam Preparation
- PLI’s exclusive (and first-of-its-kind) interactive testing software tracks the current Exam.
- It puts over a thousand practice questions (many from actual past Exams) and answers, plus the electronic MPEP (just like on the real Exam), at your fingertips.
- New questions are included to test the new rules tested since the last-released official Exam.
- Practice in all areas tested on the Exam (or you can focus on specific areas).
- Get instant feedback on answers.
- Diagnose your performance, chapter by chapter, exam by exam.
- Automatically compare your performance via the Web to others taking our course, so that you know whether you’re on track to pass from the earliest stages.
Exam-Focus Study Guide
Simulated Exams and Practice Exam Materials
- Cross-referenced to the MPEP, it gives you Exam tips and study suggestions for every section of the MPEP tested on the Exam.
- Weighted coverage of material according to its importance on the Exam.
Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP)
- Strengthen your grasp of material and your test-taking abilities with regular test exercises.
- Simulated PTO Exams build confidence and bring down test anxiety.
We give you an electronic MPEP that tracks the electronic MPEP you will use on the actual Exam.Telephone and Email Hotlines
Get answers from faculty members to your specific Exam questions, right up to the test.Pre-Course Tutorial
This exclusive, optional tutorial covers patent fundamentals and ensures all participants are on the same page when the course begins.Key Word Glossary
Quickly master the jargon of patent preparation and prosecution using this handy tool.
PLI makes every effort to accredit its On-Demand Web Programs and Segments. Please check the Credit Information box to the right of each product description for credit information specific to your state.
Have credit questions? Visit PLI's Credit FAQ page.
On-Demand Web Programs and Segments are approved in:
Alabama1, Alaska, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho*, Illinois , Iowa2*, Kansas, Kentucky*, Louisiana, Maine*, Mississippi, Missouri3, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire4, New Jersey, New Mexico5, New York6, North Carolina7, North Dakota, Ohio8, Oklahoma9, Oregon*, Pennsylvania10, Rhode Island11, South Carolina, Tennessee12, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia13, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin14 and Wyoming*.
Iowa, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin DO NOT approve Audio Only On-Demand Web Programs.
Please Note: The State Bar of Arizona does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education requirement. PLI programs may qualify for credit based on the requirements outlined in the MCLE Regulations and Ariz. R. Sup. Ct. Rule 45.
*PLI will apply for credit upon request. Louisiana and New Hampshire: PLI will apply for credit upon request for audio-only on-demand web programs.
1Alabama: Approval of all web based programs is limited to a maximum of 6.0 credits.
2Iowa: The approval is for one year from recorded date. Does not approve of Audio-only On-Demand Webcasts.
3Missouri: On-demand web programs are restricted to six hours of self-study credit per year. Self-study may not be used to satisfy the ethics requirements. Self-study can not be used for carryover credit.
4New Hamphsire: The approval is for three years from recorded date.
5New Mexico: On-Demand web programs are restricted to 4.0 self-study credits per year.
6New York: Newly admitted attorneys may not take non-traditional course formats such as on-demand Web Programs or live Webcasts for CLE credit. Newly admitted attorneys not practicing law in the United States, however, may earn 12 transitional credits in non-traditional formats.
7North Carolina: A maximum of 4 credits per reporting period may be earned by participating in on-demand web programs.
8Ohio: To confirm that the web program has been approved, please refer to the list of Ohio’s Approved Self Study Activities at http://www.sconet.state.oh.us. Online programs are considered self-study. Ohio attorneys have a 6 credit self-study limit per compliance period. The Ohio CLE Board states that attorneys must have a 100% success rate in clicking on timestamps to receive ANY CLE credit for an online program.
9Oklahoma: Up to 6 credits may be earned each year through computer-based or technology-based legal education programs.
10Pennsylvania: PA attorneys may only receive a maximum of four (4) hours of distance learning credit per compliance period. All distance learning programs must be a minimum of 1 full hour.
11Rhode Island: Audio Only On-Demand Web Programs are not approved for credit. On-Demand Web Programs must have an audio and video component.
12Tennessee: The approval is for the calendar year in which the live program was presented.
13Virginia: All distance learning courses are to be done in an educational setting, free from distractions.
14Wisconsin: Ethics credit is not allowed. The ethics portion of the program will be approved for general credit. There is a 10 credit limit for on-demand web programs during every 2-year reporting period. Does not approve of Audio-only On-Demand Webcasts.
Running time and CLE credit hours are not necessarily the same. Please be aware that many states do not permit credit for luncheon and keynote speakers.
If you have already received credit for attending some or the entire program, please be aware that state administrators do not permit you to accrue additional credit for repeat viewing even if an additional credit certificate is subsequently issued.
Note that some states limit the number of credit hours attorneys may claim for online CLE activities, and state rules vary with regard to whether online CLE activities qualify for participatory or self-study credits. For more information, call Customer Service (800) 260-4PLI (4754) or e-mail email@example.com.