William Sloan Coats
Primary Areas of Practice:
William Coats is a trial lawyer focused on complex intellectual property matters involving patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secret disputes for the software, hardware, computer, electronics, entertainment and movie industries.
Law School: University of California, Hastings College of The Law, J.D., 1980
Graduate School: University of San Francisco, B.A., 1972
William Coats represents companies who are leaders in their respective fields, such as Pioneer Corporation; Lucasfilm, Ltd., Lucasfilm Entertainment company and its various divisions including LucasArts and Lucas Digital (Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound); Toshiba America; HTC Corporation; DVD Copy Control Association; Aztech Systems, Ltd.; Avid Technology; In-Three; Digidesign; Laika; and Mesa/Boogie, Ltd.
In 2008, Mr. Coats was appointed by the U.S. government to the United Nations Centre for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business Task Team on Intellectual Property Rights and Related Issues.
- United Nations Centre for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business Task Team On Intellectual Property Rights and Related Issues
- Past Chair, American Bar Association, Section of Science & Technology Law
- Past Chair, American Bar Association, Computer Law Division
- Past Chair, American Bar Association, Task Force on Biometrics
- Delegation to the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) Working Group on Electronic Commerce
- Santa Clara County Bar Association's President's Blue Ribbon Commission on Diversity in the Legal Profession in Silicon Valley, American Chemical Society