William Corcoran represents private equity funds and investors on fund formation, management and operation. His clients include leveraged buyout, venture capital, mezzanine and other venture lending funds and private and publicly-traded corporations. He also represents foreign governments and charitable entities investing in the United States in venture capital, leveraged buyout, mezzanine and subordinated debt funds, and in real estate investments, including real estate investment trusts. Bill advises on federal and state income tax aspects of corporate mergers and acquisitions, and on the tax consequences of compensation strategies involving equity and deferred arrangements. He also represented many of the public and private corporations involved in developing the exchangeable share structure and continues to advise U.S. investors investing into Canada directly and indirectly through alternative investment vehicles.
- Portfolio investment by a United States investor in a Canadian corporation using exchangeable shares and designed to preserve Canadian controlled private corporation (CCPC) status.
- The acquisition of the stock and assets of a divisional business of a public corporation involving tax issues in the United States, Canada and China.
- A $300 million acquisition of the stock of a domestic Subchapter S corporation, together with the filing of a Section 338(h)(10) election to step-up the inside tax basis of the target corporation's assets.
- A leveraged buyout of a United States corporation by a Canadian buyout fund.
- The purchase of a publicly-traded corporation by another publicly-traded corporation involving U.S. golden parachute tax rules and recently enacted deferred compensation tax rules.
American Bar Association
Boston Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association