William E. Smith
represents clients in complex civil litigation matters. He has particular expertise representing professional and general liability insurance carriers in coverage litigation, as well as telecommunications carriers in commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings. He also routinely counsels and provides strategic advice to insurers in connection with claims and policies issued in a wide variety of insurance lines
- Counsels insurers and serves as monitoring and coverage counsel in a wide range of matters, including in connection with claims and exposures under liability polices issued to directors and officers, fiduciaries, financial institutions, investment advisors, mutual funds, insurance companies and insurance brokers.
- Represents insurers in coverage litigation and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings nationwide.
- Represents insurers in negotiations to resolve underlying claims and coverage disputes, including routinely in mediations and settlement conferences.
- Represents corporate clients in a wide range of federal and state court litigation, including declaratory judgment actions and actions alleging breach of contract, fraud, bad faith, violation of consumer protection statutes, rescission and false advertising.
Associate Litigation Counsel, WorldCom, Inc. (1999-2002). Responsible for handling and managing domestic and international commercial disputes, government contract litigation and consumer class action litigation.
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Michigan Law School; Order of the Coif
- B.A., with high honors, Michigan State University
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia