has over 25 years of experience as a consultant to the legal profession. Ms. Lambreth consults on leadership, practice management and strategic issues affecting the future of law firms and the legal profession. She works with managing partners, practice group leaders and executive committees. Ms. Lambreth has helped many of the largest firms in the U.S. implement strong practice group management (including over 30% of the AmLaw 100) and train their Practice Group Leaders. She has trained over 5,000 lawyers, who hold firm or practice management roles, how to lead and manage more effectively and has trained over 500 lawyers and other legal professionals in legal project management. Ms. Lambreth has helped law firms of all sizes improve their profitability and enhance their lawyers’ leadership and management skills. She is nationally recognized as one of the top leadership and practice management consultants for law firms. She has given hundreds of speeches and written dozens of articles on topics ranging from trends, leadership and management issues to process improvement and project management. Ms. Lambreth is co-author of Achieving Peak Performance Through Practice Management: A Practical Handbook and author of The Practice Group Leader’s Handbook for Success. She chairs the highly successful annual Project Management one-day program for the Practising Law Institute. She is also the Chair and Founder of the Legal Project Management Institute, the leading resource for educating law firms and law departments on implementing project management in their organizations (lpminstitute.net).
Prior to founding LawVision Group, she was with Hildebrandt International (more recently Hildebrandt Baker Robbins) for almost 20 years, being one of three consultants there for over 20 years, and with Altman & Weil for almost seven years. She chaired many of the Hildebrandt Institute conferences and led several of the most successful roundtables for law firm professionals.Practice Management
- Working with firms to develop effective practice management structures that will align practice and geographic goals and business plans with overall firm goals.
- Advising on policy and implementation issues for successful practice management, including roles and authority of practice leaders, infrastructure, budgeting, performance metrics and compensation.
- Developing communications programs to implement practice management and help create greater partner buy-in.
- Counseling firms through practice group leader selection process.
- Assisting firms in dealing with practice groups that are struggling or with ineffective practice group leaders.
- Helping firm management improve lawyer recruitment, retention, profitability and career satisfaction.
Practice Group and Firm Leadership Training
- Teaching practice group leaders and firm management the leadership skills they need, including building
- Teaching practice group leaders and firm management the leadership skills they need, including building high performance teams, leading with emotional intelligence, change management, coaching and developing strategic practice group plans.
- Helping law firm leaders enhance their ability to think strategically, align their colleagues behind business goals and be more innovative and effective.
- Providing training for practice group leaders in Situational Leadership® II delegation and workflow management, supervision and teambuilding, role definition and development of effective practice group plans.
Process Improvement and Project Management
- Helping firms determine the right approaches for legal work process improvement/work redesign, including developing the right practice-specific approaches and advising on the cultural and behavior issues and the professional management support for these changes.
- Training lawyers and other law firm professionals in project management skills including project planning (scope, charter and work breakdown structures), matter management and developing and managing budgets under alternative fee approaches.
Ms. Lambreth was elected a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management, an honorary organization of leaders in this field. She served for three years on the ABA Committee on Research on the Future of the Legal Profession. She has served on many other ABA long-range planning committees and task forces, including 9 years in the ABA House of Delegates.
Ms. Lambreth served on the Governing Council of the ABA Law Practice Management Section for six years and chaired the Section’s Membership Board. From 1995 to 1997, she served on the Board of Governors of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
Articles, Blogs and White Papers
Copies of all articles are available by contacting Susan Lambreth at email@example.com
- How Can My Firm Avoid the Pitfalls in Implementing Effective Practice Management?
- Project Management or Process Improvement: Which Comes First?, March 2011
- Can Lawyers Be Trained as Project Managers?: Ten Keys to Successful Project Management Training, January 2011
- Can Lawyers Be Trained as Project Managers?, November 2010
- Is It Possible to Measure the Impact of Project Management?, July 2010
- Is It Possible to Turn Lawyers Into Project Managers?, January 2010
- Lawyers as Project Managers: An Alternative Track to Partnership?, January 2010
- Ten Keys to Maximizing Practice Group Performance in a Tough Economy, April 2009
- Practice Management: Passing Fad or Permanent Part of our Future, April 2008
- Secrets to Successful Practice Groups, December 2007
- Who Makes the Best Practice Group Leaders?, October 2007
- Is Practice Management the Latest Fad?, January 2007
- How Can Managing Partners Optimize Practice Leader Performance?, ABA Law Practice Today, December 2006
- How Do You Differentiate Your Practice Group From The Masses?, August 2006
- How Is Practice Management Different for Mid-sized Firms?, June 2006
- Making Lawyers into Leaders, June 2006
- What Does It Take to Develop Effective Law Firm Leaders, March 2006
- How Do Client and Industry Teams Fit Into Our Practice Management Structure? – Part II: Dos and Don’ts for Successful Client Teams, February 2006
- How Do Practice Leaders Get Their Jobs Done and Still Have a Practice?, January 2006
- Compensating for Practice Group and Team Efforts, November 2005
- How do Client and Industry Teams Fit into Our Practice Management Structure?, October 2005
- Who Make the Best Practice Group Leaders?, August 2005
- What Are the Key Elements to Implement Practice Management Effectively?, July 2005
- Is Practice Management Just The Latest Fad?, June 2005
- Don’t Just Plan, Implement: Steps to Successful Practice Group Plans, November 2004
- Peak Performance – Managing Smarter Can Make a Difference, July 2002
- Making Your Firm A Great Place to Work, May 2002
- Achieving the Benefits of Practice Management, Bench & Bar, November 2001
- Capitalizing on Your Firm’s Growth – Is Bigger Better? March 2000
- The New Economy - Law Firms Re-think Practice Management, New York Law Journal, August 15, 2000
- Can Your Firm Still Afford an Objective Compensation System?, Leadership and Management Directions, October 1997
- Will Your Law Firm Survive the Next Decade? New York Law Journal, September 1996.
- Project Management for Lawyers 2013, Practising Law Institute, Jan. 21, 2013
- Legal Project Management: Essential Skills for Every Successful Lawyer, American Lawyer Media The New Partner and Corporate Counsel Forum, Oct. 18, 2012
- Secrets of Successful Practice Groups, West LegalEdcenter Webcast, Sept. 18, 2012
- Using Legal Project Management for Competitive Advantage, ALA Regional Conferences, Sept. 12 (New York), Sept. 14 (Minneapolis) and Oct. 12 (Anaheim, CA), 2012
- Using LPM for Competitive Advantage, West LegalEdcenter Webcast, August 28, 2012
- Project Management: The Core of Every New Business Pitch, American Lawyer Media 3rd Annual Marketing and Business Development Leadership Forum, May 1, 2012
- Project Management for Lawyers 2012, Practising Law Institute, Jan. 18, 2012
- Legal Project Management, Two-day Certification Course, Nov. 15 – 16, 2011
- Who’s Really In Charge? Best Practices for eDiscovery Project Management, Advanced eDiscovery Institute, Georgetown Law CLE, Nov. 17, 2011
- Developing Thriving Practice Groups: The Law Firm's Guide to Success, Center for Competitive Management, Nov. 18, 2011
- Project Management for Lawyers 2011, Practising Law Institute, Jan. 19, 2011
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania
- M.B.A., Villanova University
- B.A., University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill