Mr. Kass counsels on a broad range of business and regulatory matters, with primary emphasis on insurance and reinsurance. Mr. Kass also has significant experience in corporate and securities law. As a former Certified Public Accountant working for a public accounting firm, Mr. Kass brings a strong financial background to his practice. Mr. Kass also serves as the Chief Financial Officer of the Firm.
Mr. Kass works closely with insurance companies and other insurance related entities on a wide variety of matters, including regulatory compliance, enforcement and counseling; risk assessments, compliance audits and best practices reviews; product development and structuring; reinsurance; and litigation counseling. As a corporate and securities practitioner, Mr. Kass represents clients in mergers and acquisitions, business planning and structuring, and corporate governance.
Mr. Kass regularly participates in complex federal litigation with other Firm attorneys, and he is experienced with defending and pursuing claims involving insurance products, practices, and coverage.
- Counsel to various insurers, holding companies, and state insurance departments in connection with acquisitions and disposition of insurance companies and related entities, including transaction structuring and documentation as well as change of control and market concentration approvals under state insurance holding company laws.
- Representation of life insurers and producers before state insurance regulatory authorities, including formal requests for interpretive relief under statutes and regulations, form and/or rate approvals and challenges, and state insurance examination and/or enforcement disputes.
- Litigation, regulatory and/or operational risk assessments and/or compliance audits for various life insurers. Scope of projects have ranged from the insurer's overall operations (or the overall operations of one or more its major divisions) to review of specific product lines or offerings.
- Counsel to cedent life insurers in structuring and documentation of reinsurance treaties, including consideration of risk transfer and related regulatory issues.
- Insurance Regulatory
- Insurance & Reinsurance Transactional
Bar & Court Admissions
- Southern Dist. of Florida
- J.D., University of Miami, 1983 (magna cum laude; Associate Editor, University of Miami Law Review)
- M.B.A., University of Miami, 1980
- B.S., University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Finance and Commerce, 1974
- Member, American Bar Association; Law and Accounting Committee