Stephen Besen is a partner in the firm's Mergers & Acquisitions Group, with extensive experience in public and private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, proxy fights, capital markets and securities, private equity and merchant banking, and general corporate legal matters. Mr. Besen has also been actively involved in representing private equity sponsors and hedge funds in transactional and advisory matters funds. He joined the firm as a partner in 2001.
Recent Experience Includes Representation of:
- Abu Dhabi Investment Authority in its $7.5 billion minority equity investment in Citigroup
- Saudi Basic Industries Corp. in its acquisition of GE Plastics
- Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd. in its minority equity investment in Merrill Lynch & Co. Inc.
- Diamond Castle Holdings in its acquisition of Blue Stone TV from Providence Equity
- Transaction Committee of Huntsman Corporation in its sale to Hexion, a portfolio company of Apollo Investment
- Special Committee of Aramark in its acquisition by a private equity consortium
- UBS Financial Services in its acquisition of McDonald Investment
- Tata Group in its investment in, and subsequent sale of, Energy Brands
- Siemens AG in its acquisitions of CTI Molecular Imaging, U.S. Filter and Robicon Corporation and in its sale of Unisphere Networks to Juniper Networks
- Quest Diagnostics in its acquisition of LabOne
- Permal Group in its sale to Legg Mason
- Crossroads Group in its sale to Lehman Brothers
- Independent directors of Molson in its merger with Coors
- Deutsche Bank in the sale of its venture capital investment portfolio
- Deutsche Bank in the sale of its worldwide custody business to State Street
- DLJ Merchant Banking in its US$750 million investment in TXU
- John Henry in his sale of the Florida Marlins and the purchase of the Boston Red Sox
- Fuji Bank in the sale of Heller Financial, Inc. to GE Capital
- Société Générale in its acquisition of a controlling interest in TCW Group, Inc.
- DLJ Merchant Banking in its investment in, and sale of, Michael Petroleum
- MediaOne Group in its merger with AT&T
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 1983
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, S.B. in Management and Economics, 1980
Professional Affiliations and Business Activities
- Mr. Besen has lectured and written on various topics, including: private equity, mergers and acquisitions in the telecommunications industry; structuring and negotiating acquisition transactions; and structuring and negotiating joint ventures and strategic alliances.
- Mr. Besen was named a 2007 "Dealmaker of the Year" by The American Lawyer for his role in SABIC's acquisition of GE Plastics.
- Mr. Besen has been recognized as one of the leading individuals in corporate M&A, particularly noted for his work with private equity sponsors and hedge funds. - Chambers USA, 2008, Chambers USA, 2009