Stef Tucker represents a wide variety of clients, from the entrepreneur and the professional, on the one hand, to publicly traded enterprises, such as real estate investment trusts, on the other hand. His practice encompasses the entire range of subjects from mergers and acquisitions, to entity planning, structuring and formation, to asset protection and preservation, to business transactions, to family business planning and wealth preservation. In addition, Stef has extensive experience in Federal and state income, estate and gift taxation, including tax audits.
In many respects, Stef is a generalist, even in today's world of specialists. His clients look to him to apply his breadth of experience and general knowledge in arriving at solutions to a wide range of business-oriented problems and issues and in structuring complex business arrangements and transactions. They also seek his assistance in connection with their personal financial matters and wealth preservation planning.
Stef has represented a wide variety of companies in acquisitions and in being acquired by both United States and foreign-based companies. This practice also encompasses workouts of difficult financial asset structurings and repositionings, real estate acquisitions, exchanges, financings and refinancings, estate planning and structuring, the review of proposed Federal tax legislation and comments on and testimony related to proposed Federal income tax regulations, family business planning and wealth preservation, and work with REITs and other publicly traded entities.
- Listed in Who's Who Legal, Insolvency & Restructuring, 2011
- AV® Peer-Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in District of Columbia Super Lawyers 2007 - 2011
- Listed for more than 20 years in The Best Lawyers in America for Real Estate Law, Tax Law, and Trusts and Estates (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Recognized in the 2009 - 2011 editions of Chambers USA, (Sr. Statesman), Real Estate, DC
- Recognized in the 2011 edition of Legal 500, Domestic Tax: East Coast
- Listed in The International Who's Who of Real Estate Lawyers, 2011
- Named one of the Top 100 Attorneys by Worth magazine in 2005, 2006 and 2008
- Named a Leading Lawyer in Real Estate law by the Legal Times in March 2003
- Named Top Washington Lawyer in Tax Law by Washington Business Journal in 2004
- Named a Leading Washington Tax Lawyer for 2007, 2009 and 2010 in Washingtonian Magazine
- Named Washington, DC Real Estate "Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers, 2011
Stef served as Chair of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation from 1998 to 1999, having previously served as Chair-Elect, as its Vice-Chair/Committee Operations, as a member of its Council, and as Chair of its Committees on Real Estate and Continuing Legal Education.
Moreover, he was an active member of the ABA Section of Taxation Task Force on Tax System Restructuring, with a particular focus on real estate. In addition, he is a member of the District of Columbia Bar Division of Taxation, having previously served as a member of its Steering Committee.
Stef was a Professorial Lecturer at Law at George Washington University Law Center from 1970 to 1990, and has been an Adjunct Professor at Law at Georgetown University Law Center since 1990, in both cases teaching Federal Taxation of Real Estate Transactions. He is also a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Michigan Law School.
Stef is a member of the Board of Trustees of Massachusetts School at Law at Andover, Massachusetts.
He is on the Advisory Boards of Real Estate Taxation and Practical Tax Strategies.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1963
- B.B.A., University of Michigan, 1960