Stan Gibson is an experienced trial lawyer, who has focused on high-stakes cases involving complicated strong technology strong and bet-the-company cases in the entertainment industry.
Stan obtained a $16.7 million arbitration award after a six-month arbitration that involved the engineering and design of direct broadcast satellites and satellite launch vehicles.
Stan tried to a jury Intraspace v. Lockheed Martin/Loral in San Jose and obtained a $8.5 million verdict for our client. With an aptitude for technology and patents, Stan went on to handle complex cases involving technology in the fields of computerized telescopes, automotive design, Internet search engines, exercise equipment and medical devices, among others.
Stan recently was one of the principal trial lawyers in Medtronic v. Michelson, in which his client Dr. Gary Michelson won $570 million after a multi-month jury trial in Memphis, Tennessee. The case was resolved as part of a $1.35 billion dollar acquisition of the Michelson patent portfolio, which the Los Angeles Times reported as the largest acquisition of patents in history.
- J.D. Duke University School of Law
- M.A. Duke University
- B.A. University of California, Berkeley
- Intellectual Property
- Discovery Technology Group™
- IP Professional Malpractice
- Patent Litigation Group
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Advisory Board for Litigation Services, LexisNexis
- Member of Licensing Executive Society
- Member of The Sedona Conference Working Group on Electronic Document Retention and Production
Awards & Recognition
- Winner, Most Innovative Use of Technology During a Trial, Law Technology News, 2005
- Executive Editor, Duke Law Journal
- Law Clerk, 1991-1992, Honorable Deanell Reece Tacha, Circuit Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Listed, Los Angeles Magazine's Southern California Super Lawyer, 2009-2010
- Listed in Los Angeles Magazine Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition: July 2009, Jan 2010