is a partner in Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati's technology transactions practice and a member of the firm's Policy Committee. Although his primary focus is on technology mergers and acquisitions, his practice includes a wide range of intellectual-propertyrelated matters, including licensing, joint ventures, and technology transfers, mainly focused in the areas of computer hardware and software, multimedia, telecommunications, and electronics. Selwyn also regularly represents companies in complex transactions in the area of renewable energy, especially in the solar industry. Transactions in this area range from joint ventures to technology development and supply agreements. Selwyn advises clients on general intellectual property matters, including the development of patent programs; analysis of patent portfolios; development and protection of intellectual property; and valuation issues. Selwyn's clients range from small start-up ventures to Fortune 100 companies.
Selwyn joined Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in 1995 from Weil, Gotshal & Manges' intellectual property group in New York. At Weil, Selwyn specialized in technology and IP-related transactions-primarily—but not exclusively—in the high-technology area. Selwyn also participated in a number of intellectual property litigations. Before joining Weil, he spent four years as an associate at Cravath, Swaine & Moore in New York, first in Cravath's litigation department and later in its corporate department.
Prior to attending law school, Selwyn was a member of the technical staff at RCA's David Sarnoff Research Center in Princeton, New Jersey.
- J.D., New York Law School, 1986
Magna Cum Laude; Associate Editor, New York Law School Law Review
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Rutgers University
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Cape Town, South Africa
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Member, American Bar Association, IP Law and Science & Technology Sections
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, California Bar Association, IP Law and Science & Technology Sections
- Member, San Francisco Bar Association
- Named in the 2009 edition of Intellectual Asset Management 250 – The World's Leading IP Strategists
- Named in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 as a Northern California "Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office