Richard Taffet is a senior member of Bingham's Litigation Area. Richard serves as lead counsel in a wide range of intellectual property, commercial litigation and antitrust matters, including international competition law. He represents both U.S. and foreign-based clients involved in numerous industries such as consumer electronics, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, textiles, chemicals, software development, financial industries and publishing. Richard counsels clients in connection with protecting their intellectual property assets and the marketing and distribution of their products, and also represents clients before federal agencies, including the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, the United States Trade Representatives Office and the Consumer Products Safety Commission.
Representing technology standards development organizations and standards development participants for more than 25 years, Richard has developed SDO patent and IPR policies, represented parties in connection with government and litigation proceedings involving standards-related patent and antitrust matters, and provided counseling regarding competitive and IPR issues in development of specific standards. Richard has formed and represented industry trade associations with the purpose of enforcing copyright and other IP rights worldwide and has developed international litigation strategy for enforcement of copyright and other IP rights.
Richard is a frequent speaker on intellectual property and antitrust issues and is a contributor to publications on these subjects. Noted in Chambers USA for his work at the intersection of IP and antitrust matters, clients value Richard's "excellent strategic views and his ability to always think one step ahead."
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Super Lawyers, New York (2011)
- Chambers USA, leading lawyer in Antitrust Law (New York) (2008-2011); leading lawyer in Intellectual Property Patent Law (New York) (2008-2009)
- Super Lawyers Corporate Edition, top lawyer in Corporate Litigation (Intellectual Property) (2010)
- American Bar Association (Section on Antitrust)
- New York State Bar Association (Sections on Antitrust and Intellectual Property)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Vice-chair, Antitrust Committee
- Admitted to practice in New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Brooklyn Law School, Juris Doctor (1980)
- Sarah Lawrence College, Bachelor of Arts (1977)