is a partner in our Washington office who concentrates in international trade matters and financial services regulation. He is a member of the firm’s Management Committee and served as vice chair of the International Trade and Finance practice group.
Mr. Flanagan counsels clients on a broad range of compliance requirements affecting international trade and investment. These include most notably export controls, economic sanctions constraints, defense trade limitations, and the implications of related non-US requirements. Mr. Flanagan has advised leading companies in the oil and gas sector, pharmaceutical and medical technology companies, defense contractors, manufacturing entities, financial institutions, software and high-technology concerns, and university-affiliated laboratories.
Coordinated internal investigation for leading multinational industrial company of compliance with Middle East trade sanctions programs, and represented the company in follow-on enforcement proceedings before the US Departments of Treasury and Commerce.
Assisted leading life sciences company in the design and implementation of global trade compliance program.
Represented US defense subcontractors in enforcement investigations and related export licensing initiatives before the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.
- Federal Reserve System, International Finance Division, Board of Governors (1987-1989)
HONORS AND RANKINGS
- Chambers USA, Leader in the field of International Trade - Export Controls & Economic Sanctions (2005-2012)
- Chambers Global, Leader in field of International Trade Law-Export Controls and Economic Sanctions (2006-2012)
- Best Lawyers in America, International Trade and Finance Law (2009-2013)
- Legal 500 US, International Trade (2012)
- Council on Foreign Relations, Former Term Member
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- The Woods Academy (Bethesda, Maryland), Trustee
- Georgetown University Law Center, Former Adjunct Professor coteaching International Business Transactions