Peter Kinsella is a partner in the firm's Technology Transactions & Privacy and Intellectual Property practices. His practice is focused on advising start-up, emerging and large companies on technology, licensing and intellectual property transaction matters. He is a frequent lecturer on licensing and technology issues. Prior to joining the firm in 2010, Pete was a partner with Faegre & Benson. Prior to that, he worked in various legal capacities with Qwest Communications International, Inc. (formerly U S WEST, Inc.) in Denver and Honeywell, Inc. in Minneapolis.
Pete offers extensive experience structuring and negotiating domestic and international agreements in a wide variety of areas, including: cloud services, outsourcing, product development, technology transfer, telecommunications, data sharing, complex procurement, product distribution and sales, contract manufacturing, and a wide variety of patent, trademark and copyright licenses. He offers significant international experience, including, intellectual property holding companies, export control and international intellectual property issues. Pete also regularly handles intellectual property issues in connection with public and private company mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence and licensing issues. The value of several of these transactions has exceeded one billion dollars.
Pete has been materially involved in a number of high profile intellectual property disputes in a variety of industries, including the semiconductor, telecommunications, computer networking, automotive, clean-tech and health sciences industries. In 2005, he wrote significant portions of the appeal brief filed on behalf of AWH Corporation in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit en banc proceedings, Phillips v. AWH Corporation, concerning the procedures that should be used to determine patent claim construction. Most recently, Pete successfully represented a third party semiconductor tooling manufacturer in connection with a government ITC investigation seeking to ban the importation of hard drives into the United States.
As a registered patent attorney, Pete counsels clients on patent matters, including, infringement, validity, and pre-litigation issues. While at U S WEST, Inc. he was responsible for managing over 1500 trademark applications and registrations in 62 countries and all trademark opposition and litigation proceedings.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1993
- North Dakota State University, B.S., 1990
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000, 2012
- Named the Best Lawyers' 2012 Denver Technology Law Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Information Technology Law; Technology Law, 2007 - Present
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Intellectual Property, 2005 - 2012
- Corporate Counsel Black Book, 2007 - 2008
- IAM Licensing 250 - The World's Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Lawyers
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- ABA Patent-Trademark and Copyright Section
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering