Peter Shields, the firm's Managing Partner, is a former President of the Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA). He has 25 years of experience working with clients in all sectors of the communications and telecommunications industry. Mr. Shields' broad practice is largely focused on providing regulatory and public policy advocacy to wireline telephone companies, wireless carriers and other providers of satellite, video and other communications services. Mr. Shields also has substantial experience handling transactions ranging from small deals to some of the biggest telecommunications mergers in history.
Regulatory and Policy Matters
- Routinely assists telecom, wireless and international clients with developing and implementing regulatory strategies, representing them before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state regulatory commissions.
- Advises large telecommunications carriers on policy and advocacy matters and helps to create and execute strategies to attain their business objectives.
- Counsels clients on matters relating to state regulatory approvals or certifications, as well as new certifications for additional lines of business and approvals for new investments into regulated companies.
- Advises clients on regulatory compliance and transactional matters including structure, assignments and foreign ownership issues.
- Offers strategic counsel to large and small communications companies, including developing and implementing Washington, DC policy strategy for Scripps Networks Interactive, parent company of the Food Network and HGTV.
- Represents Iridium Satellite in spectrum and policy matters before the FCC.
Advised clients in hundreds of telecommunications transactions, including:
- Sirius Satellite Radio in connection with the regulatory aspects of Sirius' merger with XM Satellite Radio.
- BellSouth on FCC and state regulatory issues in the AT&T-BellSouth merger.
- Verizon in the Verizon-MCI transaction and prior to that, GTE in the formation of Verizon.
Counsels clients on structuring, financing and executing regulated transfers of all or a portion of the equity or control of entities subject to regulation by the FCC or states.
Represented Iridium Satellite before FCC in transfer to GHL Acquisition Corp.
Adjunct Professor of Communications, The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Institute for Communications Law Studies (1997-2006).
HONORS & AWARDS
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite.
- Named one of City Year Washington, DC's Idealists of the Year (2011).
- Named Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year by the District of Columbia Bar for work on behalf of victims of domestic violence (1993-1994).
- Distinguished Service Award, Federal Communications Bar Association (1997-1998).
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability.