Patricia K. Gillette, a partner in Orrick's San Francisco office, is a member of the employment law group, which was recently named Labor & Employment Department of the Year in California.
Ms. Gillette's practice focuses on all aspects of employment law, including litigation of wrongful discharge and discrimination class actions and individual/multi-plaintiff cases in both state and federal court, representation of employers before administrative agencies, and counseling and training employers on preventive personnel practices. She is an experienced trial lawyer, handling complex employment litigation. She has been consistently named as one of the premier employment lawyers in the country.
Ms. Gillette is actively involved in national projects focusing on the retention of women in the legal industry. She is a frequent writer and keynote speaker on these issues. Her articles have been widely published in state and national publications. In recognition of her work to advance women in the profession, she has received the Fay Stender Award from the California Women Lawyers Association, the Transformational Leadership Award as the Top Woman Rainmaker in 2012 and the San Francisco Bar Association Award of Merit.
Ms. Gillette is the co-founder of the Opt-In Project, a nationwide initiative focused on changing the structure of law firms to increase the retention and advancement of women in the workplace. She served as a Commissioner on the ABA Commission for Women in the Profession, she co-chairs the San Francisco Bar Association's No Glass Ceiling Initiative, and she is a member of the ABA's Gender Equity Task force. Ms. Gillette is Development Chair for DirectWomen, a non-profit organization dedicated to placing women attorneys on boards of public companies. Ms. Gillette is a member of the Consortium for Advancing Women Lawyers, a national group of women thought leaders.
Ms. Gillette is active in her community of Kensington, California. She was elected to Community Services Board in 2012 as a Director and served as Vice President of the Board.
Related Practice Areas
- Employment Law & Litigation
- J.D., cum laude, University of San Francisco School of Law, 1976
- A.B., Occidental College, 1973
- Recipient of the Fay Stender Award, the highest award given by the California Women Lawyers Association
- Recipient of the Transformational Leadership Award as the Top Woman Rainmaker (2012)
- Recipient of the San Francisco Bar Association Award of Merit for her work as C0-Chair of the No Glass Ceiling Initiative (2010)
- The Recorder Leading Employment Lawyer
- Consistently named among "The Best Lawyers in America," Chambers USA
- American Registry's Top 50 Women Attorneys in Northern California
- Daily Journal's Top Labor and Employment Lawyers in California
- Named as a Super Lawyer in Employment Law and Litigation for more than 20 years
- The International Who's Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers
- Names a one of The Best Lawwyers in America for 20 years