Nerissa Coyle McGinn's
practice focuses on matters involving the convergence of advertising and promotions, emerging media, technology, and privacy law as well as intellectual property law, focusing on trademark clearance and counseling.
She works with many of the best-known brands in the country, helping her clients to develop new brand assets and assisting them in the protection and exploitation of their intellectual property in advertising and marketing. Ms. McGinn advises clients in all forms of advertising and promotions initiatives, including sweepstakes review, copy review, and promotion design and fulfillment, with a particular emphasis on internet and interactive advertising and promotions. She also specializes in legal services for clients producing content for mobile devices, handling a variety of intellectual property matters in connection with video game applications. In addition, Ms. McGinn assists clients on the privacy implications of new communication strategies, mobile applications, location targeting, and information sharing.
Ms. McGinn's diverse roster of clients includes Turner Broadcasting and its programming properties, Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company and its confection brands, professional sports teams such as the New York Giants and the Washington Redskins, and other major advertisers and advertising agencies.
As a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA), Ms. McGinn has been active in helping to launch INTA's law student ambassador program and a related scholarship for trademark lawyers to attend the annual meeting. At Loeb & Loeb, she serves as a contributing author to the Advanced Media and Technology Law Blog and is also an active member of the firm's Diversity Committee, heading the Affinity Group which promotes attorneys of color within the firm.
- NALP Report Shows Part-time Work for Attorneys Dipped By John Flynn Rooney, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- Lawyer Finds Niche, Balance in Work By Bethany Krajelis, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- Adjunct Professor, Intellectual Property Legal Writing; U.S. Advertising Law, John Marshall Law School
- Former Instructor, Undergraduate Trial Advocacy, University of Illinois
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1997, cum laude
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., 1994, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court