Melissa Sawyer was recently recognized in the M&A Advisor's 2012 "40 Under 40" ranking of 40 top professionals who have reached a significant level of success in their careers under the age of 40. Ms. Sawyer is a partner in the Firm's General Practice Group, and her practice has focused on a variety of corporate governance, M&A and private equity matters in the United States and abroad. Among other things, Ms. Sawyer is experienced in takeover offense and defense, poison pills, assets sales, auctions, joint ventures, crafting earn-outs, special committee representations and representing individual significant shareholders in connection with M&A transactions. Her experience spans multiple industries, including healthcare and life sciences, insurance, financial services, consumer goods and manufacturing. Ms. Sawyer is currently an adjunct professor at Columbia Law School.
Selected Clients and Transactions
Publicly Announced M&A Transactions
Private Equity M&A Assignments
- Alcon's independent directors committee in Novartis's $12.9 billion acquisition of the remaining publicly-held minority interest in Alcon
- Cytec in its $1.797 billion acquisition of UCB's Surface Specialties business
- Diageo in numerous transactions, including its acquisition of a 50% stake in the Zacapa rum business of Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala, its sale of Barton & Guestier to Castel Frères, its $224 million acquisition of The Chalone Wine Group and its $8.2 billion acquisition of the Seagram spirits and wines business with Pernod Ricard
- IntercontinentalExchange in its $10 billion offer to acquire the Chicago Board of Trade and its $1.79 billion acquisition of the New York Board of Trade
- IPC Holdings in its announced $3 billion business combination with Max Capital Group, which was terminated, and IPC's subsequent acquisition by Validus Holdings
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group in its $3.5 billion "going private" acquisition of UnionBanCal Corporation
- Provident Bankshares in its $401 million acquisition by M&T Bank Corporation
- Tokio Marine Holdings in its $2.7 billion acquisition of Delphi Financial Group and $4.7 billion acquisition of Philadelphia Consolidated Holding Corp.
- Tygris Commercial Finance in its $535 million acquisition by EverBank
- UnitedHealth Group in its acquisition of XLHealth Corp., its $2.7 billion acquisition of Sierra Health Services and its $500 million acquisition of the insurance subsidiaries of John Deere & Co.
- Vornado Realty in its $37.6 billion bid to acquire Equity Office Properties
- Wachovia in its $25.5 billion acquisition of Golden West
- World Color Press in its $1.4 billion acquisition by Quad/Graphics
- Aquiline Capital Partners in its $200 million investment in CRT Capital Group
- Dr. Thomas Frist in connection with the $33 billion leveraged buy-out of HCA by a consortium of private equity investors
- Goldman Sachs Principal Investment Area in its $1.5 billion acquisition with a private equity consortium of GMAC Commercial Holding Corp., the commercial mortgage subsidiary of General Motors Acceptance Corporation
- J.C. Flowers in connection with the sale of Fox-Pitt Kelton Cochran Caronia & Waller to Macquarie
- Lightyear Capital in its $565 million sale of NAU Group to QBE of the Americas and its acquisition of Sirius America Insurance Company with a consortium of private equity investors
- SunTx Capital Partners in its acquisition of a majority stake in Carolina Beer & Beverage
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board in its $2.4 billion acquisition of four North American container terminals of Orient Overseas (International) Limited
2000, University of Virginia Law School, J.D.
1997, Washington and Lee University, B.A.