Matthew H. Meade's
practice encompasses a variety of
commercial litigation matters as well as corporate internal
investigations and commercial technology matters. Handling
litigation matters in both federal and state court, Matt has
participated in trials and arbitrations involving intellectual property,
employment law, commercial contracts and tort disputes.
Matt is the co-chair of the firm's Data Security and Privacy Group
and provides advice regarding data security breaches and other
areas regarding privacy.
Matt's recent representations include:
- Representing a security company in AAA case involving multimillion dollar fraud claims arising from stock purchase agreement.
- Securing a defense verdict in a federal trial involving a breach of contract.
- Advising clients on proper security measures in connection with employee and customer personal information.
- Conducting an internal investigation of a large-scale data leak of personnel information at a Fortune 100 corporation; interviewing relevant employees and preparing a report and recommendations for the Executive Board.
- Coordinating investigations in connection with potential government enforcement actions and regulatory matters involving the Department of Defense and the SEC.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Matt was an associate with the New
York office of an international law firm, where he handled federal
criminal cases, including plea negotiations, participation in proffer
sessions, bail proceedings, guilty pleas, pre-sentence reports and
negotiations with the United States Attorney's Office.
Matt has also worked as an associate at a small Pittsburgh law
firm, where he handled commercial litigation matters, including
investigating and defending sexual harassment claims;
representing plaintiffs and defendants in the theft of trade secrets;
analyzing and reviewing employment contracts; and providing
advice regarding covenants not to compete, trade secret clauses
and nondisclosure agreements. He also developed and
implemented comprehensive Internet, intranet, computer and email
policies for private and nonprofit businesses.
While a law student, Matt served as a legal assistant at a New
York law firm and as a law clerk with the Civil Division of the
United States Attorney's Office in Brooklyn, New York. He was a
quarterfinalist in the BMI National Entertainment &
Communications Law Moot Court Competition.
He is a frequent speaker on the topic of data security and has
appeared on a CBS affiliate television station, RNN, and local
radio programs regarding e-mail privacy in the workplace. Matt
has lectured at the University of Pittsburgh Katz School of
Business and the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.