Partner Mark C. Zauderer, a prominent New York trial and appellate lawyer, has represented major corporations, prominent individuals, and a then Clinton administration cabinet secretary in significant business, financial and commercial litigation in federal and state courts throughout the United States. He also frequently serves as an arbitrator and private mediator of significant disputes. He is a past President of the Federal Bar Council and is a member of the Board of Editors of the New York Law Journal. In 2003, Zauderer was appointed by Chief Judge Judith S. Kaye as Chair of New York’s Commission on the Jury, a blue ribbon panel of lawyers and judges charged with finding ways to improve New York’s jury system. He also served as a member of the Chief Judge's Commercial Courts Task Force, which implemented the establishment of the New York State Court System's Commercial Division and as member of the Office of Court Administration's Program on the Profession and the Courts, which drafted New York's current sanctions rules. Zauderer is a past chair of the 2000 member Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association, served as a delegate to its House of Delegates, as a member of the Special Committee on Cameras in the Courts, and chaired the Association's Steering Committee on Commerce and Industry. He also served as a member of the Committee on the Judiciary, the Committee on Professional Responsibility, and the Committee on State Courts of Superior Jurisdiction of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. Zauderer currently serves as a member of the Governor’s Judicial Screening Committee for the Appellate Division, First Department and a member of the Chief Administrative Judge's Advisory Committee on Civil Practice and lectures frequently and provides media commentary on litigation related issues. He was formerly a partner with Solomon, Zauderer, Ellenhorn, Frischer & Sharp, a firm he co-founded in 1981. Zauderer received his JD from the New York University School of Law and served as a law clerk to a Federal judge.
In 2004, Zauderer served as a member of a four person delegation to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States to advise on the establishment of a commercial court. He has been the subject of eight half-hour interviews on the PBS Television program, “The Open Mind,” and frequently comments on legal issues in the print and television media and lectures on litigation related issues. Zauderer is listed in Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who America, New York Super Lawyers and New York Magazine’s “The New York Areas Best Lawyers”. In 2007, he was awarded the Eliphalet Nott Medal for distinction in field by the Union College Board of Trustees.
Over many decades, Zauderer has acted as lead trial lawyer in many significant business litigations. His matters have included:
- Representation of major national and international companies in complex business disputes.
- Defense of antitrust and securities class actions.
- The successful appeal of a seminal case defining the extent of the extraterritorial application of the U.S. Securities Laws. Itoba Ltd. v. Lep Group PLC, 54 F.3d 118 (2d Cir. 1995), cert. denied, 516 U.S. 1044 (1996).
- SEC investigations, including representation of a major university in connection with an insider trading investigation.
- Acting as lead trial counsel in significant real estate disputes involving such issues as restrictive covenants, claims arising out of diversion of water, claims of competing purchasers, real estate brokerage disputes, and easements.
- Representation of major companies and individuals in Federal and State government investigations.
- Trials of complex partnership disputes.
- Representation of major New York City law firms in complex litigations and trials involving breach of fiduciary claims by former partners, and in significant malpractice matters.
- Court appointment as special referee.
- Service as arbitrator and as a private and court-appointed mediator in major business disputes.
Hon. Robert Shaw, U.S. District Judge, District of New Jersey, 1971-1972
- Who’s Who in the World,
- Who’s Who in America,
- “New York Super Lawyers,”
- New York Magazine, “The New York Area’s Best Lawyers”