Lisa Wood has over 29 years of experience handling complex business litigation, principally in the areas of antitrust, securities fraud, and accountants liability. She is the Co-Chair of the firm's Litigation Department. In recognition of her effectiveness as an antitrust litigator and business counselor, Lisa has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Massachusetts SuperLawyers and Chambers USA, which cited her as "one of the top litigators in Boston."
Lisa’s client representation reflects the breadth of her litigation practice. She advises numerous companies in federal securities and antitrust litigations, and in government investigations by the FTC, Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice, and SEC. She also has represented many different accounting firms, including the “Big Four” and other national, regional and local firms, insecurities and accounting malpractice claims, and in regulatory investigations by the SEC, IRS, PCAOB and other federal and state authorities.
Recent Representative Experience
- Represented national accounting firm and obtained defense verdict after 3 1/2 week jury trial in July, 2012 regarding accounting for municipal bond financing. Prevailed in related jury-waived trial on M.G.L. c. 93A issues in late 2012.
- Representing auditor of so-called Madoff "feeder fund" in action brought by feeder fund limited partners.
- Obtained dismissal of constructive trust and Credit Repair Organization Act claims brought by a class of consumers of a non-profit credit repair organization against a national accounting firm which served as the non-profit’s former tax advisor and auditor, and handled appeal in which First Circuit affirmed dismissal, Zimmerman v. BDO LLP, 657 F.3d 80 (1st Cir. 2011).
- Represented special committee of independent directors of a public registrant in an SEC investigation into whether the registrant and its management properly disclosed the executive officers of the registrant and whether one member of management “practiced accounting” before the SEC in violation of a previously-issued accounting bar order and in 2010 secured favorable settlement for the registrant. In related SEC litigation against former executives of registrant, successfully defeated motion to compel the production of privileged communication defeating the argument that the privilege had been waived during the SEC’s investigation. SEC v. Prince et al, DC District, 2011.
- Representing manufacturer of destructive testing equipment in antitrust conspiracy action arising out of standard setting activity before ASTM, and obtained an order dismissing all claims in early 2012. Advanced Technology Corporation, Inc. v. Instron, et al, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 26052 (D. Mass. February 26, 2013).
- Served as lead counsel to human genomics company in FTC investigation regarding consumer protection and privacy issues.
- Representing The Boston Herald in on-going litigation brought by a former wholesale distributor, challenging an RFP issued by several publishers for wholesale distribution services and winning distribution contracts with vertically integrated publishers. Obtained dismissal of all antitrust claims at motion to dismiss stage.
- Obtained an immediate dismissal of antitrust and RICO claims filed against a professional service firm drawn into a patent dispute between parties for whom it had allegedly provided patent agent services, in action pending in federal court in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Appointed by the Legal Services Corporation to serve on its national Pro Bono Task Force, 2011-2013
- Appointed by the Supreme Judicial Court to serve as a member of the IOLTA Committee, 2003 - 2012; Elected Chair, 2006
- Appointed by the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts to serve as Chair of the Attorney Advisory Committee charged with assisting the Court in revising and updating its local rules for civil cases, 2009-present
- American Bar Association’s Standing Committee on Legal Aid and Indigent Defendants, 2009-2013, appointed Chair, 2012; Board of Editors of ANTITRUST MAGAZINE, Member; various other leadership positions in the Antitrust and Litigation Sections of ABA
- Boston College Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Kenyon College, A.B., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa