Lewis Kruger is internationally recognized for his knowledge of insolvency law. Mr. Kruger, with over 40 years of experience, has played a major role in many of the significant reorganization proceedings in the United States.
Recognized by his peers for his experience, Mr. Kruger serves as the International Bar Association’s liaison to the United Nations Committee on International Trade Law, and has been selected as a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy.
He has been a frequent lecturer on bankruptcy law for the Practising Law Institute and for Bar Associations in the United States and abroad. In addition, Mr. Kruger has taught insolvency courses at Columbia Law School, New York University School of Law, St. John’s School of Law and has lectured at Harvard Law School and Kings College, Oxford.
Mr. Kruger pursues a wide array of interests beyond insolvency including his current position as Chairman of the Board of the Museum of Art & Design in the City of New York. His past public service includes Special Counsel to the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary with respect to corporate reorganization and as Special Counsel to the Governor of New York and the New York State Urban Development Corporation.
Mr. Kruger has extensive experience representing both debtors and creditors in insolvency matters. He was the co-founder and co-manager of a fund focused on acquiring/operating businesses with view towards running and selling businesses, winding down, collecting receivables and selling assets.
Mr. Kruger served as Chief Restructuring Officer of ResCap.
Mr. Kruger’s debtor representations include Columbia Gas Systems, Seatrain Lines, Anchor Glass Container Corporation, Pegasus Shipping Hellas, Cabot Cabot & Forbes, Tosco, Tiphook Finance Corporation, Daniel M Galbreath, Neisner Brothers, Planet Hollywood, The Icing, The McCall Pattern Company and Victor Technologies.
Mr. Kruger’s representation of creditors’ committees, ad hoc committee groups and creditors include:
- MF Global (Ad Hoc Committee)
- YRC Worldwide (Agent Bank)
- Centro Property Group (International Bank Group)
- Owens Corning (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- WR Grace & Co. (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- Wheeling Pittsburg Steel (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- U.S. Gypsum Corporation (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- Leslie Fay (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- Hillsborough Holdings
- Zale Corporation (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- Southmark Corporation (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- NuCorp Energy (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- Penn-Dixie Steel (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- Phoenix Steel (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- Western Union (Ad Hoc Committee)
- Forstmann (Ad Hoc Committee)
- Edgecomb (Ad Hoc Committee)
- Charter Medical (Ad Hoc Committee)
- Harvest Foods (Ad Hoc Committee)
- Phar-Mor (Ad Hoc Committee)
- Pinnacle Brands (Ad Hoc Committee)
- Armstrong World Industries
He has represented the acquirers of Burlington Industries, Cone Mills and LTV Steel, among others.
In addition, Mr. Kruger has also served as lead counsel representing JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Barclays, Deutsche Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland, BNP Paribas, HVB, ABN Amro, National Westminster Bank and other financial institutions.
Honors and Awards
Mr. Kruger’s accomplishments have been recognized by a number of publications including The International Who’s Who of Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers, The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America. In addition, Mr. Kruger has been selected for membership in the American College of Bankruptcy.
- Chairman of the Board, Museum of Arts & Design, 2010–present
- Secretary and Board Member, Museum of Arts & Design, 1990–2009
- Member, International Bar Association, 1988–present
- Liaison to the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law
- Special Counsel, U.S. Senate on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Anti-Trust and Monopoly, Corporate Reorganization, 1976
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of NewYork
- Member, Committee on Foreign and Comparative Law, 2013
- Member, Committee on Banking, 1974–1975, 1980–1981
- Member, Committee on BankruptcyLaw, 1975–1978
- First Vice Chairman, Manhattan Community Planning Board #7, 1972–1974
- Vice Chairman, Manhattan Community Planning Board #8, 1968–1970
- President, Citizens for Clean Air, Inc., 1967–1970
- Special Counsel, Governor of New York, 1974–1976
- Special Counsel, New York State Urban Development Corporation, 1974–1976
- Associate Counsel to Minority Leader, New York State Senate, 1966
- Assistant Counsel to President pro tempore and Majority Leader of New York State Senate, 1965
- Judge Advocate, U.S. Army Reserve, 1959–1965
Mr. Kruger’s publications include:
- Current Developments in Bankruptcy, Reorganization & Arrangement Proceedings, 1972–Present
- Bankruptcy: Practice and Procedure in 1972 and annually thereafter
- Creditor Representation in Bankruptcy and Insolvency Proceedings
- Business Reorganization and Rehabilitation: The New Chapter 11
- Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978
and many other monographs for newspapers and journals.
Admitted to Practice
New York, 1959; U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1972; U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1974