Judge James Ware
(Ret.) has joined JAMS after spending sixteen years as a civil litigator, and twentyfour years as a judge. He served as a United States District Judge on the Northern District of California, including a year and a half as the Chief Judge of the Northern District. Previously, he served as a judge on the Superior Court of California in Santa Clara County. Thanks to his extensive judicial career, he brings with him a wealth of experience derived from his management and resolution of thousands of cases across a wide variety of subjects. Most notably, Judge Ware presided over numerous cases involving patent infringement, securities fraud, antitrust, contract disputes, employment law, and various statutory actions.
In his work with JAMS, Judge Ware draws on his vast experience as a judge on both the state and federal bench. Serving as a mediator and special master/discovery referee, he helps parties to communicate with and understand one another; offers a broad perspective on parties’ problems; assists them to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of respective positions; assesses the overall cost of the dispute; and aides them in identifying, and overcoming, obstacles that stand in the way of
effective resolution. As an arbitrator, he considers the issues and reaches a definitive, principled, and expedited resolution.ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Twenty-two years as United States District Judge on the Northern District of California, including a year and a half as the Chief Judge of the Northern District; two years as a judge on the Superior Court of California in Santa Clara County; and sixteen years as a civil litigator.
- Sat by designation on a number of other federal courts, including the following:
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
- Taught case management and dispute resolution practices in numerous legal practice programs, both in the United States and around the world. For over twenty years he has taught courses at Bay Area law schools, including Santa Clara Law School and Golden Gate Law School. In addition, he has given lectures and speeches at a number of Bay Area institutions, including Stanford Law School, Berkeley Law School, and Hastings College of the Law.
- Author of several law review articles dealing with patent law and civil trials.
Background and Education
- Judge, U. S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1990-2012 - Chief Judge, 2011-2012
- Judge, Santa Clara County Superior Court, 1988-1990
- Private Practice, Palo Alto, California, 1972-1988
- U.S. Army Reserve Captain, Military Police, 1973-1986
- U.S. Army, Military Police, 1973
- U.S. Army Reserve Second Lieutenant, 1972
- J.D., Stanford Law School, 1972 - Hilmer Ohlmer Award for excellence in Research and Writing
- B.A., California Lutheran University, 1969