is a partner in DLA Piper's Intellectual Property and Technology Practice.
An experienced patent lawyer, Mr. Lavelle focuses primarily on the preparation and trial of patent infringement cases. He also has handled a number of successful appeals to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Additionally, he is a well-respected author, teacher and lecturer regarding the antitrust / IP interface.
Mr. Lavelle has more than 25 years of experience litigating patent cases, including many bench and jury trials. He has litigated in most areas of technology, including semiconductors, computers, computer software, telephony, Digital Signal Processing, telematics, waveform encoding, automotive technology, financial services, biotechnology and many others.
In addition to federal district court proceedings, Mr. Lavelle has tried a number of Section 337 proceedings before the US International Trade Commission (ITC), as well as handled cases before the US Court of Federal Claims and appeals to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He also is licensed to practice before the USPTO and has successfully handled interference proceedings.
Mr. Lavelle has been recognized as a top intellectual property lawyer by Chambers USA
and Legal 500
Mr. Lavelle has vast experience handling litigation and counseling matters at the intersection of competition laws and antitrust laws. He has participated in many of the leading matters in the area of standard setting. He has also represented clients in patent-antitrust matters before the FTC and the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice.
Additionally, Mr. Lavelle has served as an adjunct professor of law at Georgetown University Law Center, where he taught courses on patent/antitrust and patent misuse law. He has written and lectured extensively in this field.
- District of Columbia
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
COURTS AND FORUMS
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- American Bar Association - Member, Intellectual Property and Antitrust Section
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Physical Society