practice focuses primarily on corporate and securities law matters, including mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, private placements, joint ventures, and tender and exchange offers.
He also advises clients on SEC reporting obligations and corporate governance matters. He has represented clients in a wide range of industries, including real estate (REITs), hospitality, apparel, gaming and entertainment. Mr. Friedman has represented:
- Nationwide Health Properties, Inc. in its $7.4 billion acquisition by Ventas, Inc., a transaction that created one of the largest publicly traded REITs and the leading health care REIT by equity value;
- Apartment Investment and Management Company (AIMCO) in numerous transactions, including its $1.5 billion acquisition of Casden Properties Inc.; public offerings and private placements; OP Unit transactions; limited partnership mergers and tender offers; and joint ventures;
- Fortress Investment Group LLC in its initial public offering, honored as one of the “Equity Deals of the Year” by International Financial Law Review (the IPO was the first public listing of an alternative asset investment manager in the United States); and in its $220 million add-on offering;
- Capital Shopping Centres Group PLC in a $600 million REIT joint venture with Equity One, Inc.;
- DineEquity, Inc. in its $2.1 billion acquisition of Applebee’s Inc.;
- Wynn Resorts, Limited in a $2.3 billion refinancing that included the sale of $2.3 billion of first mortgage notes, $1 billion of new credit facilities and a tender offer for second mortgage notes;
- American Land Lease, Inc. in its $438 million sale to Green Courte Partners, LLC;
- Babcock & Brown Limited in its $766 million acquisition of BNP Residential Properties, Inc.;
- MPG Office Trust, Inc. in a $1.2 billion joint venture with Macquarie Office Trust; and
- Mosaic Media Group in its acquisition of dick clark productions, inc.
J.D., Stanford Law School, 1988
B.S.E., The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 1985 (summa cum laude
Affiliations / Associations
Member, Board of Directors, Los Angeles