Gregory V. Varallo focuses his practice on complex corporate and business litigation, corporate governance and corporate transactions. He has litigated numerous complex business disputes in the Delaware courts and has also appeared on behalf of the firm's clients in state and federal courts throughout the United States. Greg is a director in the firm and vice chair of the Corporate Department
A frequent author and speaker at numerous seminars and institutes, Greg has been published in The Business Lawyer, The Securities Regulation Law Journal, M&A Lawyer, Corporate Governance Advisor, Insights and Business Law Today. Greg is the principal co-author of Special Committees: Law and Practice (Oxford Univ. 2011); Fundamentals of Corporate Governance (ABA, 1st Ed. 1996; 2nd Ed. 2009); and a contributor to the ABA Handbook for the Conduct of Shareholder Meetings (1 st Ed. 2000; 2nd Ed. 2010).
Significant matters in which Greg has served as lead counsel or co-lead counsel include:
- Lead counsel in first confidential Chancery arbitrations
- Lead counsel for the tobacco industry in Delaware in connection with the entry of the landmark consent decree between that industry and the state attorneys general
- PL Capital, LLC v. Central Bancorp, Inc., No. 03-0554 BLS, Van Gestle, J. (Mass. Super. June 30, 2003), in which the client succeeded in enjoining and then defeating the first attempted use of the modern "poison pill" against a stockholder
- Lead counsel in Frontier v. Holly, 2005 WL 1039027 (Del. Ch.), where the court concluded that the filing of mass tort litigation in California was not a "material adverse effect" under a merger agreement
- Selectica, Inc. v. Versata Enterprises, Inc. and Trilogy, Inc., 2010 WL 703062 (Del. Ch. Feb. 26, 2010), atrd, 5 A3d 586 (Del. Oct. 4, 2010), successful lead trial and appellate counsel in case involving first actual use of poison pill rights plan.
Greg has been recognized by Chambers USA, Benchmark Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America, Lawdragon, Super Lawyers and Who's Who Legal, among others.