Gerald Russello has spent almost 15 years representing individual and institutional clients in a wide variety of securities enforcement and regulatory defense actions. Prior to joining Sidley, Gerald lead a trial team in a successful defense of a clearing firm charged by the FINRA Department of Enforcement with alleged violations of FINRA's AML rules.
Gerald served as attorney and branch chief with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission's Enforcement Division, where, among other matters, he lead and supervised investigations into possible market manipulation, accounting fraud, insider trading, and other misconduct. Public matters with which he was involved include In re CIHC, Inc., et al., In re MBIA, Inc., SEC v. Cobalt Multifamily Investors I, LLC, et al. and Report of Investigation Pursuant to Section 21(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 Regarding The Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc., as Overseen By Its Parent, The National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc. Gerald also served as a managing director in the legal department of Bear, Stearns & Co., Inc., where he managed significant litigations and was a member of the firm's Suspicious Activity Report Committee;
Prior to joining Sidley, Gerald represented:
- Two hedge fund portfolio managers in an SEC insider trading investigation; no charges were brought;
- A major accounting firm in separate PCAOB investigations alleging violations of Auditing Standard 3; no charges were brought;
- Broker-dealer in combined FINRA/CBOE inquiry regarding alleged market manipulation;
- A broker-dealer and its president in an SEC investigation over alleged excessive trading; and
- A number of broker-dealers in FINRA investigations regarding Section 5, AML, and supervisory issues.
Gerald also is an adjunct professor at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he teaches a seminar on securities litigation and enforcement. He regularly writes and speaks on topics such as regulatory compliance, insider trading, and enforcement trends, and is a co-author of the Securities Litigation and Enforcement Nutshell, forthcoming from West Publishing.