LAW OFFICES OF GABRIEL DEL VIRGINIA, New York, New York. 1994-present
Established own bankruptcy/insolvency practice.
- Sole practitioner with emphasis in bankruptcy/insolvency and business restructuring.
- Represent clients on corporate; real estate transaction and litigation matters.
- Represent chapter 11 and 7 trustees.
- Special counsel for prosecuting avoidance actions on major chapter 11 cases.
- Represent purchasers of assets in bankruptcy cases.
EDWARDS & ANGELL, New York, New York. 1992-1994
Associate, Bankruptcy/Workout Department
- Associate in branch office of 200-lawyer major regional law firm. Counseled on major representations: Middle East Broadcasting Center, Ltd. in its acquisition of the assets of United Press International, Inc.; the Trade Creditor Group in the In re L.J. Hooker Chapter 11 case; real estate developers in the R.H. Macy case.
- Advised major commercial and investment banks in corporate and bankruptcy-related matters.
- Represented personal client, real estate developer, Gerald D. Hines Interests, Houston, Texas, in bankruptcy case.
BACHNER, TALLY, POLEVOY & MISHER, New York, New York. 1991-1992
- Associate in bankruptcy department of mid-size New York law firm. Key bankruptcy lawyer on all aspects of pre-packaged Chapter 11 real estate case on behalf of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, including court appearances; drafting and negotiating plan of reorganization; supervising junior associates. Advised major real estate development clients Olympia & York, HRO Organization and VMS, and banks such as Citibank, N.A. on work-outs and bankruptcy law.
MILBANK, TWEED, HADLEY & McCLOY, New York, New York. 1988-1991
Associate, Bankruptcy / Workout Group
- Broad-based experienced in representation of creditors and debtors in significant out-of-court workouts/restructuring and in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. Strong experience in federal Bankruptcy Code law and Rules of Procedure.
- Negotiated deal-oriented transactions for clients including major domestic and foreign lending institutions, large corporate/institutional borrowers and investment banking firms.
- Representation of personally-developed client Salomon Brothers Inc. in its capacity as financial advisor to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation in the LTV Corporation Chapter 11 matter.
RIKER, DANZIG, SCHERER, HYLAND & PERRETTI, Newark, New Jersey 1986-1988
- Concentration in the areas of Chapter 11 corporate reorganization/insolvency. Handled matters involving the representation of debtors, large institutional creditors, and Chapter 11 trustees in Bankruptcy Court.
- Experience in Municipal Bond/Public Finance areas through representation of issuers and underwriters.
HONORABLE VINCENT J. COMMISA, CHIEF JUDGE 1985-1986
UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT - DISTRICT OF NEW JERSEY
Judicial Law Clerk
- Researched and analyzed cases before the Court; intensive exposure to major Chapter 11 corporate reorganizations.
BROOKLYN COLLEGE OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK 1994-1996
Instructor in Bankruptcy and Corporate Law courses in College's Paralegal Certificate Program.
J.D., RUTGERS UNIVERSITY OF LAW, Newark, New Jersey. 1984
Rutgers Law School Student
- Bar Association - Career placement Committee Member
B.A., RUTGERS UNIVERSITY 1981
- Majors: Political Science and English Literature
- Rutgers College Honors Program nominee and participant (English Lit.)
- State of New York; United States District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York,
- State of New Jersey; United States District Court, District of New Jersey.
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; Member, Committee on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar.
- New York County Lawyers' Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association - Commercial Law Section.
- New Jersey Bar Association - Creditor/Debtor Section.