Edward D. Shapiro
is Chair of the firm's Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice group. His practice focuses on the efficient prevention, management and resolution of disputes for commercial entities, organizations and individuals. Ed views his primary objective as helping clients identify their goals, as well as business and personal options that they may not have thought were possible during the litigation and dispute resolution process.
He advises businesses and individuals on proactive measures to avoid litigation. He also represents clients at trial in state and federal court, before administrative agencies, and in mediation and arbitration. Ed has provided counseling and litigation representation involving breach of fiduciary duty, employment disputes, discrimination claims, breach of contract, fraud and consumer fraud, restrictive covenants, unfair competition, trade secrets, professional licensing, business dissolution, trusts and estates, real estate, and health care. He also represents physicians and physician practice groups before various administrative agencies, including the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation, and in contract, noncompete and hospital privilege matters.
As one of the leaders of the firm's Financial Crisis Response Team, Ed is also involved in representing lenders and borrowers in real estate disputes, including commercial foreclosures and business workouts.
Trained as a litigator, Ed applies an ethical and responsible approach to conflict resolution. He frequently represents clients in mediation and is a certified mediator.
IN THE PROFESSION
- A member of the adjunct faculty at Northwestern University School of Law, Ed teaches in the Program on Negotiation and Mediation. He is a member of the Board of Directors for the Center for Conflict Resolution, where he is a member of the Peer Review Committee and volunteers as a mediator and trainer. In addition, Ed is a past Board member for the Association for Conflict Resolution, and former Co-Chair of its Programming and Professional Development Committee.
- A member of the Federal Trial Bar, Ed is a past Chair of the Chicago Bar Association's ADR Section.
- Ed has been recognized by the Leading Lawyers Network as a top Illinois lawyer in the area of comrnercial litigation (2008-2010).
- Boston University School of Law J.D., 1991
- State University ofNew York at Binghamton B.A., Economics, with honors, 1984
- Ed is admitted to practice before the lllinois State Bar, the Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of illinois, and the state and federal courts of Massachusetts.