Douglas A. Cawley is a Principal in the Dallas office of McKool Smith. For more than thirty years, he has been engaged in the trial of complex cases, and has handled major intellectual property matters throughout the United States and the world. He was lead counsel in trials resulting in National Law Journal top 100 jury verdicts in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013. Peers have named him to the list of Texas Super Lawyers every year since 2003, and he is listed in the Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property Law. Mr. Cawley is a frequent speaker on patent litigation at seminars throughout the country.
- J.D., with Honors, University of Texas School of Law, 1975
- B.A., with High Honors, University of Texas at Austin, 1972. Phi Beta Kappa
Professional & Community Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association Section on Intellectual Property Law
Rankings And Honors
- Named 2014 Dallas "Patent Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America
- Recommended as a leading patent litigator by The Legal 500 (2013): "fantastic in preparing complex cases for a jury trial. He has a unique ability to perceive how the jury will view a case."
- Named "IP Star" by Managing IP (2013)
- Ranked as an Intellectual Property "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation
- Listed as a "National IP Litigation Star" and "Texas Litigation Star" by Benchmark Plaintiff
- Named the Best Lawyers 2012 Dallas Litigation - Intellectual Property "Lawyer of the Year"
- Ranked in Chambers USA as a leading intellectual property lawyer in Texas
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property Law
- Peers have named him to the list of Super Lawyers every year since 2003
- Included in the Lawdragon 500 listing of "Leading Lawyers in America"