David B. Shemano
Restructuring / Workout; Debtor Representation; Creditor Representation; Committee Representation; Acquisition / Sales
In Mr. Shemano's practice, he represents chapter 11 debtors, creditors' committees, trustees, secured creditors and general unsecured creditors in all aspects of corporate bankruptcy. He has in-depth experience handling bankruptcy and restructuring matters related to real estate, entertainment and manufacturing.
Among his recent matters are guiding Club Ventures/DavidBarton Gym through its reorganization and emergence from chapter 11 protection, and leading the Section 363 sale of rights to "The Terminator" movie franchise in connection with Halcyon Holding Group's chapter 11 matter. Currently, he represents one of the largest owners of El Pollo Loco franchises in Southern California in its chapter 11 restructuring.
Mr. Shemano frequently lectures before the Practising Law Institute, American Bankruptcy Institute conferences and other audiences. He is the current president of the Financial Lawyers Conference and sits on the board of directors of the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum and the board of governors of the Beverly Hills Bar Association. He is a member of the Commercial and Bankruptcy Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
Honors and Professional Background
A graduate of Hastings College of the Law, Mr. Shemano is recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business and The Best Lawyers in America, and is named a Southern California "Super Lawyer." He received an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Prior to joining Peitzman Weg LLP, Mr Shemano worked on bankruptcy and restructuring matters with the law firms of Winston and Strawn LLP, Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, and Danning Gill Diamond & Kollitz LLP.
- Financial Lawyers Conference President (2012-present) Member, Board of Governors (2003-2005, 2008-present)
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum Member, Board of Governors (2009-present)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Member, Bankruptcy Law Committee (2001-present)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association Executive Committee of the Bankruptcy Section, Chair (2007-8), Member (2003-present)
- State Bar of California Member, Insolvency Law Committee (2002)-2005)
- J.D., Hastings College of the Law (1991, cum laude, Order of the Coif, Thurston Society)
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara (1987, cum laude)