Darrell W. Pierce
focuses his practice in the areas of commercial and corporate finance law. With offices in Chicago and Ann Arbor, he has earned a national reputation for handling sophisticated debt finance transactions, including structured finance transactions, securitization of financial assets and other significant secured transactions under Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), including restructurings and workouts. Mr. Pierce is co-leader of the Firm's Lending Team and supervises its UCC Filing Team.
Mr. Pierce regularly represents lenders and their agents in connection with secured and unsecured loans, letters of credit and other bank products.
He is familiar with the requirements for security interests in a wide variety of collateral, including collateral located abroad, and has extensive experience representing lenders and borrowers in connection with troubled credits. He works closely with Dykema bankruptcy attorneys to ensure a smooth transition and an appropriate outcome should a bankruptcy become necessary. He also represents leasing companies and issuers in public-finance transactions.
This experience enables Mr. Pierce to provide effective and efficient representation to issuers of debt and other sophisticated borrowers. As the leader of Dykema’s Structured Finance and Securitization practice, he is able to provide the requisite advice and legal opinions to limit recourse, address bankruptcy risks and support the issuance of asset-backed securities.
Mr. Pierce served as member of the Article 9 Study Committee for the Permanent Editorial Board for the Uniform Commercial Code, as Chair of the Article 9 Filing Project and as the primary drafter of the International Association of Commercial Administrators’ Model Administrative Rules for Article 9 filing offices. He is a frequent lecturer and writer regarding UCC matters.
Memberships & Involvement
- American Bar Association, ABA Filing Office Operations and Search Logic Task Force, Co-Chair
- Michigan State Bar Association
- Practising Law Institute, Faculty Member
Awards & Recognition
- Director and Board President, Ann Arbor Civic Theatre, 2005-present
- Michigan Chamber Brass, Director, 2004-2007
- Ann Arbor Chamber of Commerce Public Policy Committee, 2003-2008
- Evanston, Illinois, Cub Scout Pack 12, Den Leader and Pack Committee Member, 1995-2000
- Named an Illinois Leading Lawyer in the areas of Corporate Finance and Securities & Venture Finance by Leading Lawyers Network, 2012. Law Bulletin Publishing Company