has been a partner since January 1995. She joined the firm in 1988 and in 1989 moved to the Mergers & Acquisitions Group, where she has worked on a large variety of public and private transactions, including public company restructurings, joint ventures and large public transactions. She also advises clients regularly on mergers and acquisitions and other corporate law questions. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. O'Brien worked with the law firm of Brady & Tarpey, P.C., where her practice included cross-border corporate transactions, litigation and domestic relations. Ms. O'Brien began her legal career at the Irish law firm of Eugene F. Collins & Son, and was admitted to the Irish Roll of Solicitors in 1985.
Experience Includes Representation of:
- Boston Scientific Corporation in connection with the sale of its neurovascular business to Stryker Corporation, the restructuring of its interests in Advanced Bionics Corporation, its acquisition of Guidant Corporation, the sale of Guidant's vascular businesses to Abbott Laboratories and in various corporate and other transactional matters
- Bunge Limited in connection with various matters, including its sale of Brazilian Fertilizer Nutrients Assets to Vale S.A., its acquisition of Usina Moema Participações S.A. and its terminated merger agreement with Corn Products International, Inc.
- Corning Incorporated in various corporate and transactional matters, including its acquisition of Axygen BioScience, Inc.
- Danone in various matters, including its acquisition of YoCream International, Inc., its acquisition of Medical Nutrition USA, Inc. and transactions with an affiliate of Kelso & Company, Suntory Water Group, The Coca-Cola Company, and Stonyfield Farm, Inc.
- P.H. Glatfelter Company in various matters, including its acquisition through its wholly owned subsidiary, Glatfelter Canada Inc., of outstanding shares of Concert Industries Corp. from Brookfield Special Situations Management Limited
- HeartWare International, Inc. in various matters, including its terminated acquisition transaction with Thoratec Corporation
- Mubadala Development Company, a public joint stock company wholly owned by the Government of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, in connection with various matters, including its global business partnership with General Electric Company
- The Special Committee of HCA Inc. in connection with the $33 billion acquisition of HCA by three private equity funds
- Quest Diagnostics Incorporated in various corporate and transactional matters, including its 2011 acquisitions of Athena Diagnostics, Inc. and Celera Corporation and its acquisitions of AmeriPath Corporation, Unilab Corporation and the clinical laboratory business of SmithKline Beecham Corporation
- SunGard Data Systems, Inc. in its $11.3 billion acquisition by seven private equity funds led by Silver Lake Partners, and the pending sale of its Higher Education businesses to affiliates of Hellman & Friedman LLC for an aggregate cash purchase price of $1,775 billion
- Incorporated Law Society of Ireland
- Trinity College (Dublin), B.A. Legal Science
Professional Affiliations and Business Activities
- Board of Directors, American Association of the International Commission of Jurists
- Board of Directors of Lawyers Alliance for New York