regularly advises federal officeholders, political candidates and committees, ideological organizations, trade associations, Fortune 50 corporations, other business organizations and private individuals on all aspects of political law including campaign finance, government ethics and lobbying law compliance. He has particular experience representing clients in these matters before the Federal Election Commission (FEC), other federal and state administrative agencies and in federal and state courts. Chambers USA
Leading Lawyers for Business has named Mr. Burns one of the nation's "Up and Coming" practitioners in his field, "an experienced and knowledgeable attorney who provides solid advice" (2010). In 2011, the directory notes that Mr. Burns "continues to impress with his broad array of knowledge, including campaign finance and lobbying regulation" and is praised by clients for his "'analytical and prompt' approach." Mr. Burns also has been cited and quoted on political law topics in publications such as The Washington Post
, The Washington Times
, Politico and Roll Call
- Litigates campaign finance cases in state and federal courts, notably the constitutional challenge to the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, McConnell v. FEC, 540 U.S. 93 (2003).
- Assists clients with responses to and appearances in connection with grand jury, congressional and FEC investigations.
- Represents clients in FEC and state campaign finance enforcement proceedings, rulemakings and advisory opinion requests.
- Represents clients before the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE), Office of Government Ethics, the Senate Select Committee on Ethics and the House of Representatives Committee on Standards of Official Conduct in government ethics matters.
- Counsels Members of Congress, Executive Branch officials, Executive Branch nominees and others regarding compliance with ethics laws and rules, including financial statements and other disclosure obligations associated with confirmation proceedings.
- Conducts legal compliance audits and internal investigations in connection with campaign finance, government ethics and lobbying activities.
- Provides regular counsel regarding compliance with campaign finance, government ethics and lobbying laws.
- Member, Lawyers for Bush-Cheney (2000). Participated in the 2000 election recount efforts.
- Outstanding Scholar Program, U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division (1996-1997).
- J.D., New York University School of Law; Moot Court Board; Winner & Best Oralist, Wagner Moot Court Competition
- B.A., cum laude, Duke University
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia