C. Stephen Bigler counsels corporations, officers, directors, board committees, stockholders and investors on matters involving the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware and related issues of fiduciary duty arising in a wide variety of transactional and operational contexts. Steve's practice also includes entity formation, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, defensive planning, capital-raising transactions and stockholder meetings. A member of the firm's Corporate Advisory and Governance Group, he also represents special committees in transactional matters and renders legal opinions on Delaware corporate law issues.
Steve was president of the firm from July 2008 to July 2011 and executive vice president from July 2006 to July 2008.
Active in the legal community, Steve was one of a group of venture capital lawyers who participated in the drafting of model financing documents for the National Venture Capital Association. Steve is a member of the American Bar Association Business Law Section Mergers and Acquisitions and Corporate Process and Documents Committees. He has participated in the drafting of a model merger agreement by the Public Companies Subcommittee of the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee, and in the drafting of a model certificate of incorporation, bylaws and preferred stock designation by the Corporate Process and Documents Committee.
Steve also participated in the drafting of the Special Report of the TriBar Opinion Committee: Duly Authorized Opinions on Preferred Stock, and the Report of the Corporation Law Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York regarding the Enforceability and Effectiveness of Typical Shareholder Agreement Provisions. He has written numerous articles on aspects of Delaware corporate law appearing in The Business Lawyer, Insights and other legal publications, and is a frequent speaker regarding Delaware corporate law practice and developments.
- Chambers USA, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006
- The Best Lawyers in America (Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions)
- PLC Which Lawyer (Corporate / M&A), 2011
- Who's Who Legal (Mergers & Acquisitions), 2012, 2011, 2010
- Lawdragon, 2011, 2010, 2009
- Super Lawyers, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
- Delaware Today, "Top Lawyer," 2010
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1984
- B.S., magna cum laude, Washington and Lee University, 1981
Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court, District of Delaware
- United States Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court