Ben Gonzalez is a Principal in the New York office of KPMG LLP's U.S. Advisory Services practice and specializes in advising financially distressed companies and their stakeholders. He has advised numerous clients on issues associated with financial distress and constrained liquidity and has helped clients identify, evaluate and implement strategic alternatives. He has extensive experience in financial restructuring, business planning, financial modeling, cash-flow forecasting, recapitalizations, asset divestitures, capital raises, and negotiating amendments to credit facilities.
Professional and Industry Experience
Ben has extensive experience in all aspects of financial restructurings, assessing short-term liquidity requirements, evaluating alternative capital structures, and developing plans of reorganization. He has advised bank syndicates, companies, and creditors' committees in both in-court and out-of-court restructuring transactions. He has worked on many large restructurings, in a variety of industries including professional services, apparel and textile manufacturing, automotive, restaurant, airline, telecommunications, media and entertainment, and healthcare. Representative assignments include:
- Advisor to Bank of America as Agent Bank in the restructuring of a broadly syndicated credit facility to National Amusements.
- Advisor to St. Vincent's Hospital on cash management and forecasting.
- Advisor to HSBC on the divestiture of two operating assets in the United States as part of a larger insolvency proceeding filed in the UK for a listed experiential marketing and trade show operating company.
- Advisor to the bondholders committee of Brazilian media conglomerate TV Globo, the largest restructuring in the country's history.
- Advisor to Bank of New York with respect to the restructuring of a bilateral credit agreement with a client in the eyewear retail industry.
- Advisor to Ford Motor Company with respect to several distressed suppliers and identified both financial and operational alternatives.
Professional Services, Apparel and Textile Manufacturing, Automotive, Restaurant and Hospitality, Retail, Steel, Airline, Telecommunications, Media and Entertainment, and Healthcare.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- August 2008. Financial State of the U.S. Automotive Industry. Bankruptcy Strategist
- October 2008. Refinancing Toolkit. Credit Crunch Guide.
- January 2010. PE Restaurant Deals-Rewriting Yesterday's Rules. Capital Roundtable