Ariel J. Deckelbaum
Ariel J. Deckelbaum is a deputy chair of the Corporate Department and a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions Group, the Private Equity Transactions Group and the Canadian Practice Group. Mr. Deckelbaum's practice is diverse with extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, alternative asset management and restructuring transactions. In each of his practice areas, Mr. Deckelbaum helps clients develop and protect their long-term interests and investment strategies.
Mr. Deckelbaum's mergers and acquisitions work includes going-private transactions, special committee representations, merger proxies, tender offers and hostile proxy contests. Mr. Deckelbaum's recent mergers and acquisitions experience includes the following representations:
- Oak Hill Capital in its pending acquisition of ViaWest, a provider of data centers for colocation and managed services
- Oak Hill Capital in connection with its investment in Duane Reade and sale to Walgreen Co.
- TowerBrook Capital Partners in its acquisition of a majority interest in Broadlane, Inc.
- Time Warner Cable in its separation from Time Warner Inc.
- Exor Group, as a minority investor in Graphic Packaging Corporation, a leading provider of paperboard packaging solutions, in connection with the combination of its business with Altivity Packaging, LLC for approximately $1.75 billion
As a member of the Canadian Practice Group, Mr. Deckelbaum regularly represents Canadian clients in transactions with U.S. components as well as U.S. private equity firms and other companies seeking to invest in Canadian companies. Mr. Deckelbaum also represents clients in an array of international and cross-border deals. His international transaction experience includes representations:
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co. in its acquisition of Sepracor Inc. pursuant to a tender offer
- Sumitomo Metal Industries, Ltd. as it partnered with Vallourec S.A. in the merger of two premium joint companies, VAM USA Company and V&M Atlas Bradford LLC, to establish a new premium joint threading joint venture, VAM USA LLC
- Hexagon in its acquisition of NovAtel, a provider of global navigation systems and components
- Nomura Holdings, Inc. in its acquisition of a 15-percent, $888 million stake in Fortress Investment Group
- Mr. Deckelbaum also has extensive restructuring experience, including the following representations:
- Time Warner Inc. in connection with the multiple draw term credit facility by its affiliate to certain affiliates of Six Flags Inc. as part of its emergence from bankruptcy protection under chapter 11
- TowerBrook Capital Partners in the recapitalization of Wilton Holdings Inc., parent company of Wilton Brands Inc.
- Marc Ecko in his sale of a controlling interest in the Ecko portfolio brands to Iconix Brand Group, Inc.
- Perella Weinberg, as financial advisor to the special committee of Sealy Corporation in connection with a restructuring involving KKR
- Time Warner in its complex, $12.7 billion joint bid with Comcast Corporation to acquire the assets of Adelphia Communications Corporation.
His transaction experience covers a variety of sectors, including consumer and retail, financial services, healthcare, industrial, media and telecommunications, travel and leisure.
Mr. Deckelbaum serves on the advisory board of DealLawyers.com, is a member of the American Bar Association and has been elected to the Board of Directors of the Lawyers Alliance for New York.
LL.B., McGill University Faculty of Law, 1998 with distinction
B.C.L., McGill University Faculty of Law, 1998 with distinction
B.A., McGill University, 1993 first class joint honours