Andrew L. Oringer
, a partner in Dechert LLP's Tax & Benefits Department, leads the firm's ERISA and executive compensation practice in New York. Andrew counsels clients on their employee benefit plans and programs, benefits-related tax matters and fiduciary issues arising in connection with the investment of employee benefit plan assets.
Advising the firm's clients on employee benefits strategies in the context of corporate transactions, Andrew has been involved in the structuring of numerous large investment funds. He frequently counsels plan fiduciaries on investments and has been instrumental in designing novel structures to address complex issues. His advice to clients encompasses all aspects of corporate transactions and initial public offerings in which benefits and compensation issues play a central part, including transactions involving large leveraged Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs). He also represents employers and executives in the negotiation of executive employment and termination agreements.
Nationally known for his Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and executive compensation experience, Andrew has published numerous articles on such topics as the fiduciary rules under the Pension Protection Act, executive compensation, the tax rules governing nonqualified deferred compensation, the ERISA implications of structuring investment funds, "plan assets," the treatment of employee benefits in bankruptcy, and ESOPs. He lectures regularly on employee benefits and executive compensation issues, and is frequently quoted in various major publications, including The Wall Street Journal
, The New York Times
, Crain' s Pensions & Investments
, USA Today
and The Chicago Sun Times
. He has authored, co-authored or contributed to numerous bar comment letters and reports to regulators on both fiduciary and compensation issues. In addition, he recently testified at the request of Congress regarding recent Department of Labor regulations.
Andrew has been highly ranked for four consecutive years in Band One of Chambers USA
and is widely recognized by other major legal directories, including those published by the Practical Law Company
and the Best Lawyers of America
Professional & Civic Activities
Memberships & Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor, Hofstra University School of Law (2008-2010)
- Adjunct Professor, Baruch College, Masters in Tax (2006-2008)
- Lecturer, ReedLogic Video Leadership Seminars on CD-ROM, "Negotiating and Structuring Executive Employment Agreements with Andrew L. Oringer" (2007)
- New York State Bar Association, co-Chair of the Employee Benefits Committee of the Tax Section; member of the Executive Committee
- American Bar Association, Chair of the Fiduciary Responsibility/Plan Investments Sub-Committee of the Employee Benefits Committee of the Section of Taxation
- Member of the Advisory Board of the BNA Pension & Benefits Reporter, the leading advance sheet for employee-benefits matters
- Member of the Advisory Board of BNA Tax Management Compensation Planning Journal, a monthly journal which is part of the BNA Tax and Accounting Center.
- Member of CCH™s Retirement Planning Advisory Board
- 1984, J.D., Hofstra University School of Law; with Distinction, Associate Editor, Hofstra Law Review
- 1984, M.B.A., Adelphi University
- 1980, A.B. (Economics), Duke University; cum laude, with Distinction