- Investment Funds, Advisers and Derivatives
- Private Equity
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Private Equity Fund Formation
- Private Equity and Joint Ventures
- Investment Funds
- Global Agribusiness and Food
Jurisdictions in which this lawyer is licensed to practice are listed under Admissions & Certifications.
ADMISSIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- The University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1994, cum laude)
- College of Europe, Bruges (M.A., 1991)
- Harvard University (A.B., 1990, magna cum laude)
ALYSSA A. GRIKSCHEIT, a partner in the New York office, has a diverse corporate practice that currently emphasizes complex transactions and alternative investment funds. Her experience also includes private equity and hedge funds, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances and restructurings. Alyssa is fluent in Spanish and French and has extensive experience in international transactions, particularly those involving Latin America and other emerging markets such as China and India.
Alyssa represents domestic and foreign clients making cross-border investments. She also represents buyers and sellers, including private equity funds and their portfolio companies, in acquisitions, dispositions, strategic alliances, restructurings and financings, including transactions in regulated industries such as the health care, pharmaceutical, energy, telecommunications and defense industries. In addition, Alyssa represents sponsors of alternative investment funds in fund formation and other aspects of their operations. Such funds have included distressed debt, energy, infrastructure, real estate opportunity, agribusiness, microfinance and emerging market funds.
Alyssa is ranked in Chambers Global, Chambers USA and Chambers Latin America. Additionally, she has been recognized in the 2014 and 2015 editions of IFLR1000 as a “Rising Star” for Investment Funds in the United States. Alyssa was also recommended in Private Equity Funds in the Legal 500 US 2014–2015 and in Capital Markets and Corporate M&A in the Legal 500 Latin America 2013-2014. Alyssa has been recognized by Latinvex in “Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers - 2015” for her work throughout the region and is featured as one of “Latin America’s Top 50 Female Lawyers (2015): Corporate/M&A.”
Alyssa actively represents a nonprofit organization in establishing and capitalizing microfinance institutions in underserved emerging markets on a pro bono basis.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Co-Chair and Speaker, “Drafting and Negotiating Corporate Agreements 2015,” PLI (New York, New York, January 9, 2015).
- Panelist, "Alternative Investment and Domestic Funds," Deutsche Bank Global Transaction Banking Alternative and Domestic Funds Services Client Event (São Paulo, Brazil, October 21, 2014).
- Panelist, “Aggregating Capital for Impact Investment,” Legal Symposium on Impact Investing (New York, New York, October 2, 2014).
- Panelist, “Managing and Marketing Funds in Asia, Europe and Latin America,” Private Funds 2014: Developments and Opportunities - Sidley Austin LLP Program, (New York, New York, September 10, 2014).
- Panelist, “Private Equity Funds: Fundraising, Operational and Compliance Trends and Challenges,” Private Funds 2013: Developments and Opportunities - Sidley Austin LLP Program, (New York, New York, September 17, 2013).
- Co-Chair, “Private Equity: Legal and Financial Instruments for Structuring Private Equity and Venture Capital Investments,” International Bar Association Session São Paulo, Brazil, June 6, 2013).
- Chair, Private Equity Latin America Forum and Speaker, “Funds & Deals – Structuring Private Equity Investment in Latin America,” Latin Markets (New York, New York, May 9-10, 2013).
- Speaker, “International Aspects,” Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company, Practising Law Institute (New York, New York, June 8, 2012).
- Co-Chair, 2011 Seasonal Meeting of the New York State Bar Association and Speaker, Private Equity in Latin America (Panama City, Panama, September 20-24, 2011).
- Speaker, “La práctica transfronteriza y la colaboración con abogados locales,” Barra Mexicana XII Congreso Nacional de Abogados (Veracruz, Mexico, March 20, 2010).
- Co-Chair and Speaker, “Private Equity in Latin America,” New York State Bar Association Panel (New York, New York, September 17, 2009).
- “An Overview of Latin American Investment Strategies and Structures,” Inside the Minds: Corporate Law Client Strategies in Latin America, April 2015.
- “Brazilian Asset Managers Have Their Day in the Sun,” Latin American Law & Business Report, June 2012.
- “Top Ten Trends for Latin Investment Funds,” Latin American Law & Business Report, May 2011.
- “Private Equity in Latin America: Five Key Strategies for Success,” Venture Equity Latin America, June 30, 2009, also reprinted in Latin American Law & Business Report, August 2009.
- “Dealing (and Dealmaking) with Mexican Grupos: A Primer for the Private Equity Investor,” Latin American Law & Business Report, September 30, 2006, also reprinted in North American Free Trade and Investment Report and International Corporate Counsel, December 2007.
- “Private Equity Investors Rediscovering Latin America,” Dow Jones, September 2006.
Memberships & Activities
Alyssa serves as Co-Chair of the Inter-American Committee of the New York State Bar Association’s International Section and is a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. She is also a member of the American Bar Association’s Section of Business Law, Negotiated Acquisitions Committee and Section of International Law, and the International Bar Association.