Will Nelson is co-leader of Bingham's Tax Group. His practice encompasses all areas of federal taxation, with special emphasis on partnership taxation and tax controversy and litigation matters. He was one of the founding partners of McKee Nelson, which joined Bingham in 2009.
From 1986 to 1988, Will served as chief counsel for the Internal Revenue Service.
He is co-author of the treatise Federal Taxation of Partnerships and Partners (Warren, Gorham & Lamont, 4th edition, 2007) and also co-authored Structuring and Drafting Partnership Agreements: Including LLC Agreements (Warren, Gorham & Lamont, 3rd edition, 2003). Will has written articles on tax law for numerous journals and institutes, and is a frequent lecturer at various tax institutes.
Noted as being "technically expert, creative and a terrific tax litigator" and a "tremendous thinker who always provides great guidance," Will has been named one of the leading practitioners in the field of taxation by Chambers Global and Chambers USA as well as numerous other publications.
He was editor in chief of the Virginia Law Review and was named to the Order of the Coif.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2001-present)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Tax (2003-present)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Tax Controversy (2006-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America, leading lawyer in tax law
- Expert Guide: World's Leading Tax Advisors
- International Who's Who of Corporate Tax Lawyers
- Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- University of Virginia School of Law, Juris Doctor (1972)
- Mississippi State University, Bachelor of Science, high honors (1969)