Jonathan Bloom joined Ropes & Gray in 2009 as a Partner in the Finance group in London, where he focuses on corporate and finance transactions, with particular emphasis on high yield debt offerings and fund-related transactions. Jonathan joined the firm from the London office of White & Case. Jonathan represents private equity funds and their portfolio companies, hedge funds, corporate borrowers and issuers, underwriters, arrangers, and secured lenders. He has extensive experience in structuring and negotiating high yield debt offerings, acquisition financings, bridge financings, mezzanine financings, and debt restructurings. Recent hedge fund clients include GoldenTree Asset Management, BlackRock, Fortelus Capital Management, and Mount Kellett Capital Management.
Representative Clients and Matters
- Acting for Vision Capital in connection with the €260 million bridge loan and €250 million 10% senior secured notes due 2018 to finance Vision Capital's acquisition of a portfolio of investments from Banco Popolare, including Bormioli Rocco, the international glass and plastic packaging manufacturer.
- Acting for the mezzanine lenders providing €395 million of secured mezzanine debt in connection with financing and structuring the acquisition of Swedish security group, Securitas Direct AB, by Bain Capital and Hellman & Friedman.
- Acting for certain mezzanine lenders to KCA Deutag Oil Services Group, including funds managed by BlackRock Financial Management, Inc., EIG Management Company, LLC and GoldenTree Asset Management LP, in connection with KCA's financial restructuring.
- Acting for Sankaty Advisors and GoldenTree Asset Management as Euro Note Purchasers in connection with the purchase of €110 million principal amount of Senior Secured Floating Rate Notes of Almatis Holdings 9 B.V.
- Acting for Liberty Global Inc. in connection with its €2.6 billion high yield offering to finance the acquisition of Unitymedia GmbH, and the provision of a €80 million senior revolving credit facility for UPC Germany GmbH, this was the largest secured bond in European high yield history, the largest ever high yield deal in the cable space, the second largest high yield deal ever completed in Europe, the largest private equity exit in Europe in 2009 and the first major European deal where high-yield bonds have usurped bank loans to fund an acquisition.
- Acting for UPCB Finance Limited in connection with its issuance of €500 million principal amount of 7?% Senior Secured Notes due 15 January, 2020.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers UK: Capital Markets: High-Yield Products: London (2009)
- International Bar Association
- New York, 1999
- England and Wales, Registered Foreign Lawyer
- 1998, JD, University of Maryland School of Law
- 1995, BA (political science), honors, Northwestern University